L# Breeding M. thoracatum
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding M. thoracatum
Fish_lover
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 176
Votes: 0
Anyone have experience with these hoplos? I have a pair, one male, one female, both about 7-8cm long (exluding caudal fin). I've read planetcatfish.com, apparently males have a bright orange pectoral fin. Mine does, but I'm not too sure if it's mature enough to breed etc.

Tank parameters are: 3ft, 25deg, ph 6.5. alternate feeding of flake food and frozen bloodworms each night.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2009 14:35Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
what type of substrate u got? they seem a little small to breed at the moment but i have seen 1 inch long cons breed before...... if u got sand id try to feed some live black worms.... u got any floating plants? they make a bubble nest so u will need floating plants id say get some plants for the tank 2...... just let the water level in ur tank drop a little and let the temp raise a bit but not to much and slowly then fill ur tank up with not extreamly cool but cooler water than the tank and they should breed....... i have bred hoplos before mainly on accidant but they get very aggressive when they breed...... if u need any more help just ask lol.
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2009 00:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish_lover
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 176
Votes: 0
yes, the substrate is sand, and i do give occasional live blackworms. I'll try and acquire some floating plants. At the moment, i'v just provided a plastic floating lid and the male has built a nest there, but there's been no actual spawning activity. The tank's filtration is via box filters, so I'm thinking that the surface movement isn't TOO vigorous for the nest-building process.
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 09:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea u could turn them down for a bit considering they live in stagnate pools in the wild normaly..... yea just try to get some type of floating plants maybe add a few in the sand idk if they have bred yet but sounds like a fun project.......
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 20:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies