SubscribeClown Loaches breeding
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 24
Votes: 8
male uk
I don't know what i've done right but my loaches (about 3years old now) are laying eggs like no tomorrow -- i know there not the most common fish to breed in home aquariums but lay maybe a hundred in one go and they float for about twelve hours and sink - - i have managed to get a load into a seperation net in the aquarium- i really wanna try and raise these eggs but don't know anything about clown loach egg rearing they are now on there 3rd load of eggs a layed them a couple of days apart. the older ones are getting bigger. but anyhelp would be appreciated.

cheers guys
James

EH UP!!!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2007 15:32Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
Congrats!

I found this article on the internet:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-loach-breeding-related-items

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2007 20:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
Congratulations.
You do not even understand how rare it is for them to breed ina home aguarium, not hormone stimulated.
Definantly record everything that happened previously and what happens if they hatch. And take lots of pictures.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2007 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
That's really a great achievement. Please document and post some photos. I'm sure there are many on FP that would love to see them.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Not to sound like a killjoy, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's been more than one claim of clown breeding, even in such a narrow hobby breadth as this forum, none of which have ever materialized into pictures.
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 11:29Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
I will have to agree with Cup_of_Lifenoodles on this one. I am not calling you a liar, but is it possible that you are mistaken?
3 years is not very old for clown loaches. How big are your loaches?

Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 13:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
male uk
hi thanks for all your replys

for people that don't know me i'm an old skool fp member and stay true to the site - i opened my own pet shop hense never here anymore due to time commitments

i know exactly how rare it is and didn't belive it myself at first and missed the first batch of eggs. i only belived it when i saw the female acting odd when the second set appeared (she must have just been finishing the spawn as she was swimming up the corner of the aquarium the last couple of the eggs came out.

the loaches are about 5-6" without measuring

i'm more wondering about the gestation of the eggs? any clues?

cheers james

EH UP!!!
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 15:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
male uk
just re-read my post lol --- i sounded really up my own bum
didn't mean to sound like that - just wanted to make a point that i'm not a noob or just an over enthusiastic kid

the clowns are actually more like 5 years thinking about lol - - doesn't time fly!!!!

James

EH UP!!!
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 16:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
EditedEdited by mughal113
Now thats great and rare...
Well, I too second Cup_of_Lifenoodles that it would be great if u could get some pictures. It would be one of the very few (if any) photographic evidences of CLs spawning in an aquarium. (not taking anything away from u, just curious to see what it all looks like). I have also read a couple of accounts of CL breeding on the internet and they were either not very clear or conflicting.

I would even have bought a new camera if that had happened to me. It would be like getting ur name into guinness book of world records
Post InfoPosted 14-Feb-2007 23:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
male uk
well disaster struck - whilst at work yesterday my firemouth figured that he could feed off the eggs through the fine mesh isolation net they where in - and now my tank has a horrible film on the surface from the eggs that rotted and a fungus spred to the ones that he didn't get his mits on.

i'll document it all when i get more time --- infact i'll root in the filter see if there are any surviving eggs i'll take pics if so.

more later

James

EH UP!!!
Post InfoPosted 15-Feb-2007 12:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
khai
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 9
male malaysia

wow! i wish that happen to my clown loach! keep posting the newest info! cheers
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 11:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
male uk
well they've done it again 24hrs after the last post - i've got pics too - - and got a full plastic seperation unit - and it's been about 48hrs now and things are looking good nothing gone moldy yet (anyone got a clue how long they take to hatch?)

(other than being a premium member- i don't visit enough--- how can i get piccys up to show you for free)

cheers
James

EH UP!!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 13:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
You can just use an image hosting website such as tinypic.com and photobucket.com and post the link to the picture in here. I prefer tinypic.com as you dont have to register and its quick.
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 16:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Get those pictures posted, James! I'm looking forward to looking at them, as I'm sure many others are as this is quite the accomplishment.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 18:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Come on James & wish you all the Luck in hatching them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 21:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez_again
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
i dont bloody beliebe you!
only kidding - i forgot to mention, when i bumped into you for the first time in about 4 years, have you put an air stone near the eggs? they need to be kept moving all the time, im sure you know this, just reminding you.
HIRSTY SELLS BETTAS IN CUPS!
only kidding
MEZ
Post InfoPosted 23-Feb-2007 03:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
male uk
Cheers Mez - i didn't know that!!!! (grabs posh in tank air pump that makes loads of bubbles)

how did you know that? - i did put them near the filter outlet and had better succes and also introduced carbon in a section of the holder - we didn't get any fungus but they sunk and some went green

good news is shes still laying like mad, but how do i know the male is fertilizing them?? like i said in previous posts they float for around 12hrs then sink.

i'll post pics asap -- i've just moved and have to use dial up on my laptop at work - if i get time i'll post them today or tomorrow

ps ---- MEZ tried to sell me bettas in cups to sell in the shop joke!

ps if i don't manage to get pics up you could all ask MEZ to vow for me i've got the pics on my camera at work and he live 5mins away from my work - i'm sure he wouldn't mind taking time away from his busy life to verify my loaches are breeding

James

EH UP!!!
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2007 12:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 25-Feb-2007 12:49
This post has been deleted
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
Not to sound discouraging, but I have over 20 clown loaches, most of them around 5-6 inches now and yes they have fat bellies but the fat bellies are from all the food, and the females seem to behave funny all the time and come to the top of the tank, but again only to get more food that I spend precious time and money and beg with people all over the world (ok, mostly just US of A) to get for me and I have no place in the freezer to keep my meats and frozen stuff because it's full of fishy food, and I can definitely post a picture of that.

But you need to post pics of your clowns breeding, sorry, too many people have made that claim and no pics or articles materialised. No offence, but will believe when I see for sure.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2007 10:14Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Hirsty
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
male uk
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2007 16:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies