Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCommon Plecostomus
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
I just started a 20g freshh20 tank with 4 danios and one pleco. The pleco died 8 days after I put the fish in the tank. My water levels are good and the other fish are healthy as heck. He seemed to just get lazy and eventually died. I put a new pleco in and he seems to be doing the same thing. He lays on a rock and isn't sucking on the walls, rocks etc. What's happenning?

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2008 23:06Profile PM Edit Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
Maybe he isn't eating or getting enough food? Do you give it sinking wafers and/or sinking algae wafers? I think there is Veggie Wafers too.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
EditedEdited by RNJ_Punk
Welcome to the site,

First off it would help us out alot more if you went into greater detail on you water parameters, temp, nitrite, nitrates, ammonia, and so on... Also how you acclimated these plecos might also give us insight as to why they are dying. Please tell us about how you cycled the tank as you said it was a new tank. Generally common plecos are put in larger setups because of the gigantic sizes they reach ( closer to 2 feet!) However, this does not mean that if you put a small pleco in a 20 gallon tank that it will automatically drop dead because it is in the wrong size tank.Most of the time people let them grow to a certain extent then put them in a larger tank. Which seems to be what you will have to do.Common plecos are quite hardy. Please give us more information as it seems to be something with you tank or the fish itself that is causing this problem. In my opinion, I would not get another pleco as they are not suitable for you tank, there are plenty of other smaller algae eaters and bottom feeding cats that you could put in your tank once you get a handle on it.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 06:37Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I just started a 20g freshh20 tank with 4 danios and one pleco

Does this mean you did not cycle the tank or is the fish you cycled the tank with?

If you cycled the tank with the 4 Danios only and followed all the cycling rules it could take several weeks before you could introduce any other fish.

My water levels are good

OK what are all the "levels" Parameters and every thing else about the tank would certainly help. Filtration, substrate type and depth, and you feeding details for those 8 days.
Water changes have you done any if so what percentage & how often?
Filtration have you cleaned it and how did you do it?
Have you used any additives in the tank?
Is there any live plants if so what and how many?

This might seem like a lot of questions but it is the only way we can help you.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 08:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by mnventurer
I give him algae wafers. And a slice of cucumber which he munched on a little.

Tank is 75 degrees. I have a little plastic thing in the tank that shows the ammonia level is safe. I use a 6 in one test strip for nitrates, PH, etc... The petstore tested my water and said it's very good.

I left them in the bag on the water for 20 minutes. Then put a cup of my tank water into the bag. After 10 more minutes I used the net to take the fish out and put it in the tank.

I didnt really cycle the tank. I put my 5 plants in and let the filter run for a little over 2 weeks. Everytime I asked about cycling at the pet store (petco) or if they sold ammonia they said to put a few fish in to cycle it and looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to put ammonia in. Even after explaining the no fish cycling.

I have an over the side filter. I have not yet cleaned the tank I will this weekend. It's had fish in it for 10 days.

No additives. Just something to remove the chlorine when I put the water in.

The water has gotten a little cloudy but I think it's a bacteria bloom.

Fish: 4 Giant Danios, 1 Plecostomus, Would like to add cories and something blue
Tank: 20g Freshwater Aquarium
Plants: 2 Echinodorus Paniculatus and 3 Ludwigia Repens.

Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 19:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I give him algae wafers. And a slice of cucumber which he munched on a little.

That is a good sign to start off with BUT did you remove any uneaten food as this could cause problems.

Tank is 75 degrees
I would run the tank at 76-78

I have a little plastic thing in the tank that shows the ammonia level is safe. I use a 6 in one test strip for nitrates, PH, etc

I have no idea of those test at all But I think the proper test kits would give you a far better and more accurate result.

The petstore tested my water and said it's very good.

I would always prefer the actual test results then you know exactly what the readings are

I left them in the bag on the water for 20 minutes. Then put a cup of my tank water into the bag. After 10 more minutes I used the net to take the fish out and put it in the tank.

What I have always done is float the bag then every few minutes add a little water less that 1/4 cup I will do this about 4 times. I then pour this water through a net (not into the tank) and place the fish into the tank. I also NEVER feed for at least 12 hrs.

I didnt really cycle the tank. I put my 5 plants in and let the filter run for a little over 2 weeks. Everytime I asked about cycling at the pet store (petco) or if they sold ammonia they said to put a few fish in to cycle it and looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to put ammonia in. Even after explaining the no fish cycling.

Cycling can be done with or with out fish I prefer using fish usually Zebra Danio. Then I would get a full water parameters done plus I would ask for the test results not just an OK I would say you are actually cycling now y what you are saying all you have done was filter the water.

I have an over the side filter. I have not yet cleaned the tank I will this weekend. It's had fish in it for 10 days.

Sorry that does not help at all Filtration depends on the size and quality. When you do clean it you MUST use the old tank water other wise you WILL go through a cycling process again. At every water change & filter cleaning I always add a measured amount of SeaChem Stability this boosts the good bacteria which is essential in running a good filtration system.

No additives. Just something to remove the chlorine when I put the water in.

I store my water for one week (water supply problems) and it is then I add the dechlorinator .

The water has gotten a little cloudy but I think it's a bacteria bloom.

Sounds like a bloom/cycling process or just over feeding as well.

I hope I have covered all your replies and it helps you. I would also locating a good LFS that is prepared to help you. If you can give us your general location some one might live close to you and direct you to a good LFS

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2008 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Those plastic things you put on the inside to measure the ammonia levels are crap. A few years ago I would put them into cycling tanks at work and they never read any ammonia (even after the several days they require to apprarently be accurate), while the liquid tests would definitely show measurable ammonia levels. The strip tests are not very accurate either. Every time you open the bottle to get one out, water vapor from the air gets in and makes the test strips "stale". Even when new, these things are very unreliable... I've tested water from the same tank at the same time with two test strips from the same newly-opened bottle and gotten completely different results with them.

It would definitely be best to get your own liquid drop tests to test the water yourself... They sell them in big kits that have all the ones you will need. When you get the test done at unreliable or unknowledgeable fish stores, they may tell you the water is fine when it actually is not, in order to get you to purchase more fish or simply because they think the levels of toxins in the tank is "safe". No measurable levels of ammonia or nitrite are safe for fish, despite the fact that many test kits will claim to have "safe ranges".

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2008 21:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
EditedEdited by Hooben

Yes, it's true that your tank is small for a pleco. Lets just say that your parameters are okay, then you really need to see if your pleco poops. If the fish is lethargic, and never has a string of poop...then he isn't eating. The fallacy is that the pleco will keep you tank clean. The truth is that they need supplements like algea tablets, and sinking pellets to stay alive. Some even munch on driftwood. Truth be told, your small tank probably has very little algea. Of course you must also make sure not to leave uneaten wafers for too long.

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2008 22:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
also get rid of those 6 in 1 strips,they are garbage mate,i used them when i first got into the hobby,and when i started to use testing kits,i found out i had a ammonia spike,my ph was out,man it was bad,so that could also be you problem,the strips dont pick up very small ammounts of ammonia or changes in your ph,but a good test kit will,and these small changes that the strips are missing mite just be enuff to finish of your bottom feeders.just something else to consider
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2008 14:14Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
He never has a poop string. Why wouldn't he be eating? I didn't get him to clean the tank... I like plecos

I live in Saint Paul, MN if you can recommend a nice fish store. I haven't yet got to try 'A World of Fish' which looks pretty nice.

Update: I put in a air stone where he was just being a lazy butt and now he's all over the place sucking up stuff. Maybe he needed some air/current.

Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2008 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
mmm hopefully that mite be it..whats he like now?
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 07:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
A few days later he was laying on his side and I thought he was dead. When I tried to net him he sped off. I dechlorinated some tap water and put him in there (seperate from tank) and he seemed better again. The next day he was dead.

I brought him and the worthless ammonia detector back to the store. The employee asked how did I know the in-tank detector didn't work and maybe it was the API kit that was faulty. I just held up the poor dead guy as my reason. My API test kit shows ammonia went back to 8ppm a couple days after 20% water change. Absolutely zero nitrites in the tank still. I bought some Biozyme (read people had good results with it) and hopefully my tank will start cycling.

I will not put one more fish in this tank until the water is absolutely perfect! Oh... and while talking with the employee she stated they have around 300 dead fish a week! In their tanks. Not returns of course.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 22:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
EditedEdited by Natalie

That's too bad. It's a shame many fish store employees don't even know the basics about the products being sold, otherwise the deaths of two catfish could have been prevented. It's good that you got a test that actually works now, so you won't have to listen to their "advice" anymore.

If they have 300 fish deaths a week, you might want to try finding another store in your area. That shows they don't really know anything about the animals that depend on their care to survive. The first fish store where I worked had over 100 tanks, and we would get worried if we had five fish die each day.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2008 22:52Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
oh dam!i hate when that happens,also from what you were sayin above about the lfs losing over 300 fish,it mite not have been %100 water parameter problem that killed you fella,whatever was wrong with the 300 fish that died is probly what finished your guy off too!when you have waited untill your water is PERFECT,(smart move )im sure the fish you bring home will love the PERFECT water.also can i just ask,when you purchased this fella,did he look ok,did you do the ol inspection techniqe?

ps.when you do get some new fish,DONT GO BACK TO THE SAME LFS,if they lost 300 fish they are doing something wrong,BADLY!thus not real good fish keepers,do YOURSELF the favour and find another store...
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2008 16:44Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Barb_Fan2
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 0
male usa us-newjersey
Sorry to hear about your fish. I do not buy fish from Petco or Petsmart anymore when I started out with my first tank I did buy from them as they were the close to my home. Once I started losing fish soon after buying them there I wondered if it was my tank or the places I was get them from. Petsmart is better then Petco for sure! Petco I never see anyone in their fish section cleaning their tanks I always see lots of dead fish in their tanks.

If I was you I would seek out at fish store that only deals with fish! I found a great one near me. Were I see them always cleaning their tanks I never see any dead fish in their tanks, they have hospital and quarantine tanks and they only seem to be very knowledgeable about fish and I have even seen them giving a training class to it's employees.

Good Luck and Happy Fish Keeping
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2008 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I dont go to big chains for fish anymore. When I picked up some freeze dried blood worms the other day it was the saddest thing looking at Petco's tank. I won't even look at their tanks anymore. Just get supplies. I found the coolest fish place called A World of Fish with the most knowledgeable people. I just got 2 leopard danios and 2 otocinclus (which someone here recommending and they're great!) and they're in prime condition. No dead fish at all in any of their tanks and they had so many tanks it was like being in an underwater adventure. I can't wait to get some rams I finally got to see some! But my girlfriend is hooked on these gouramis so I might be getting them instead.

Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2008 21:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
now thats sounds like a great shop,and now you have found a good 1.stick to them
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2008 07:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
skyeye
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male usa
lol well i used to buy from... dare i say it.. walmart yeah, for like 5 years i bought from them. the fish would live bout 5-6 months then pass on but i belive that might have been my fault :/ i nevere used a test kit or nuttin, usualy had crystal clear water, had a few fish breed so i guess what ever i was doing it was right but id actully buy the sick fish and nurse them back to health, heped with my money cause i didnt have enough of it to pay full price
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 02:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies