Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCory Playing Dead?
sunspotkat
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 11
female usa
Yesterday afternoon before I went to work I did a head count on both my tanks. When I checked the 20 gallon I noticed one of the peppered cories floating at the top. I freaked out because it looked dead. It wasn't dead, just floating there breathing slowly. It actually had one fin sticking out of the water and touching the glass. I observed it for a few minutes, didn't notice any physical problems. When I opened the tank top and moved a floating plant to get a closer look, it rolled right side up, looked at me and swam quickly to the bottom and started feeding.

What the heck?

Has anyone else observed this type of behavior? Should I be concerned or was it just resting?

My water params are always
PH 7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 20ppm

I will test again today to make sure.

- Meow -
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 21:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
How long have you had the cories for? What is the temp of the tank? What other fish are in the tank? I also have some cories, pepper cories and I had one that did this. I was also very worried. Needless to say it did this for a few days and then stopped doing it. I would say to just keep an eye on it for a few days but I don't think it is much to worry about. Cories have a weird way of freaking out people by doing some pretty crazy things. I have another cory that loves to sit on the top of a powerhead during the day. Just watch and see how it is swimming. If it starts to float funny or having a hard time swimming or staying at the bottom then you may want to look into it. If it has a hard time swimming I would say to check if it might have a swim bladder problem. If you see no visable problems that is a good thing.

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 22:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
As cited above, watch carefully for any signs of swim bladder dertangement. However, this is unlikely if the fish returned to the bottom when you disturbed it - Corys with deranged swim bladders keep flaoting regardless of your disturbance, and usually float upside down or on one side to boot.

I have Pandas that go to the surface and do strange things. I think in their case it's motivated by the fact that they have floating plants to rummage amongst, and that while doing so, at least two of them have discovered that there are tasty food morsels to be had in the upper layers waiting for the enterprising fish to hunt them down. Which, being my Pandas, they do with relish.

In fact, given the amount of midwater swimming my Pandas engage in even when they're NOT spawning, the casual observer would be tempted to conclude that they are in fact midwater fishes and not bottom dwellers, until of course they retired to the bogwood 'boot' for a rest period. You do have to bear in mind that my Pandas have all kinds of interesting aquarium furnishings that they can use as climbing frames, and like toddlers in a playground, they take full advantage of my generosity and go exploring the little underwater Disneyland I've provided for them. If your aquarium is likewise furnished with interesting features that the Corys like to explore, particularly if they can be played with like climbing frames (arching bits of bogwood with Java Moss growing on them, for example) and those furnishings also act as nice food traps, then it's entirely possible that your Corys have, like mine, discovered that the enterprising fish can find surprisingly tasty morsels in out of the way places. Mine have learned that on occasions, flakes become stuck to the side of the aquarium courtesy of surface tension, and so, being the madcap frolicking Pandas that they are, they take trips to the surface looking for them. I know if they HAVE found them, because the two most enterprising in particular will be up at the surface, trying to reach said morsels. I know they're not trying to gulp air because my powerhead keeps the water nicely aerated, and if respiration was an issue, they'd all be popping up to the surface along with the Cardinals. The fact that the Cardinals and the majority of the other Pandas are busying themselves with assorted fishy business of their own (including the usual capers from the other Pandas such as Synodontis impersonations under the bogwood arch, and using the Amazon Swordplant leaves as underwater budgie swings in the current) means that all is generally well, and they're doing their usual madcap Panda thang.

Remember that even schooling fishes such as Cardinals are individual (I've got another cave dwelling one - nice slim male trying to entice females into the darkness for some Cardinal nookie ) and Corys are definitely fishes that manifest individual personalities. Never underestimate the capacity of Corys to engage in slapstick comedy antics!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 01:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
Cories are funny, once I had my whole cory group slepping on the leaves of one of my plants(looked like a hornwart, its a california something) and they were all sleeping on the leaves like a group of monkeys lol I wouldint worry, unless like said before they have physical problems.

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies