Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrustation Frustration
Ben_C
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
male canada ca-ontario
Hey everybody!

i have a blue crawfish he is usually pretty active night or day and he always come out for food or to snag some feeder fish but the last few days i have barely seen him, is there a way you can tell when he is getting ready to molt( i believe that is the term)
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2011 02:11Profile PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Hi Ben, Im not the critter pro but I remember my shrimps would go lighter in color. Once I didn't see them I knew they were in a hidey hole until the new shell hardened enough for them to feel safe. I suspect crayfish similar ?

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2011 18:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Sounds like preparation to moult to me. If he is also off his ood then that is a pretty good sign that a moult it coming up. Just keep the tank stable and have some good food ready to go for when he's done as it takes a LOT of energy and they are usually really hungry when they are done.

Other possibilities are poisoning and too low of a temperature. If nothing has changed in the tank, then I would assume it is a moult and just see how things go

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2011 14:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies