SubscribeEartheater "gravel" size?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
I had no idea that black sand was available and not offered any at the fish store when I set up my cichlid tank. They sold me black "gravel" ranging in size from about .35 to .55 cm. in diameter.

If I cover the "gravel" with the black aquarium sand that I recently found...the sand will eventually gravitate down and work it's way under the "larger" gravel(as small objects mixed with larger objects tend to do). And before long, the "gravel" will be on the top and all the Eartheater has to "play" and root in.

Can I use both...if I get some black aquarium sand too?
(by separating areas of sand and areas of gravel..., but it seems like after awhile the fish will have mixed them leaving only the gravel exposed on top)

What would you guys do?

Will that size "gravel" be too "large" for mid-sized Eartheaters like Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus?

Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2008 19:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Best substrate is fine, rounded sand. My experience with balzies has taught me that gravel is a hassle to maintain with any sort of geophagine.

Also, this belongs in cichlids.
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 09:57Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Cup_of_Lifenoodles,
About belonging in the Cichlid forum...I wasn't sure, because Eartheaters "mess around" with bottom material. So forgive me(Moderators), but I posted the question in both areas, which I know is not what you all want....since I didn't know which forum applied most. Thanks.

Please define what "substrate" means....Is that different layers of bottom materiel? Or just the bottom rock/sand/materiel ITSELF, please?(I've seen that term many times and wondered about what was the definition.

And forgive me, but also what are "balzies"

(how about a 50/50 mix of black sand and "gravel"?

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 14:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Substrate is a general term for anything that basically goes on the floor sand, gravel, muds, clays, broken down leaves, etc etc anything similar, its used in the herpetological hobby too, and there it could mean bark chip, coconut husk, anything really. Substrate really just means ground or floor covering made from particulate matter. People perhaps hyperextend the meaning to include some filter media too, but its probably not correct use.

General rule of thumb in aquaria, keep particle sizes to less than 2mm for eartheaters, so thats sand or the very fine gravel, but pea gravel size wouldnt really be appropriate because of the risk of mouth abrasion, jammed mouths and possible dislocations and breakages of the jaw.

I know in nature geophagus might have to contend with all sorts of substrate sizes, but in the aquarium its better to err on the safe side. A layer of chunky gravel on top of a finer gravel or sand might well cause abrasion issues with the fish constatly trying to pusg through a larger gravel to get at the finer stuff beneath, plus the day it gets sick of doing that, then the gravel on top will compact the gravel beneath, and causing the retention of dirt that you bought the geo with the intention of getting rid of.

Personally id keep to fine grade and avoid the mix.

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 16:34Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
OK longhairedgit.
Thanks for the definition!.

I now have no "backup tank" to put the fish into while taking out all, limestone rocks, shells, tunnels and "ornaments of decor" for cover while removing the "gravel".

I guess I'll just have to scoop the gravel out with the fish in the tank (stressing, I'm sure), but leave the plastic plants in to move around and give the fish "moving cover" as I go. I'll try to do it expeditiously, but calmly. I'll have the sand washed ready to install as soon as through with the removal.

I'm glad there currently is only about little more than an inch of "gravel" presently in the tank. I'll dry and store it for future tanks without Eartheaters.

(or, I could just save all the expense and work, and not get the eartheater....but I feel obligated after having the fish store owner special order the Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus)

OR....HOW ABOUT sweeping the somewhat "larger" substrate to the edges, ends and corners of the tank...and filling the central (majority) area with the sand? Do you think the fish would just realize it wasn't worth messing with the other stuff? (and that way, I could have 2, or more inches of substrate throughout the tank for "hills, depressions, valleys and interesting terrain, etc" ??
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 17:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Gymno balzani.
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2008 18:54Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
The gravel will probably just get mixed up, flow issues aside the fish themselves will virtually guarantee that, and soft almost undetectable vibration from equipment starts moving it a mm or two over the days anyway, its hellish trying to keep substrates seperate.

TBH ive changed whole gravel floors just by using a dustpan and tipping the water off the back edge, if your quick its only 5-10 mins of stress. Just make sure you gravel vac it well before you take it out or your tank will probably mist up.

Seen people take all the fish out of the tank and place them in an oxygen dprived environment like buckets or whatever than putting the new sustrate in and putting the fish through bagging etc. I dont figure thats less stress than just taking the gravel out with the fish in the tank as long as your quick and not too hamfisted about it.

Theyll move,lol, and at least they wont feel displaced, or stressed worse by chasing and netting, or subject to an hour of dodgy water quality while panicking. Might as well panic in their own tank, besides, do it gently and they might not panic at all. Last time i did it cichlids and rainbows came up and picked the hairs on my arms, and started picking at stuff that got unearthed. lol. I know it sounds hard to be unobtrusive holding a bloody big dustpan, but move gently and sympathetically and be calm in yourself and its amazing how fish dont panic. Generally the less big a deal you make it, the less big a deal it actually becomes. You dont have to go in there like a coal shoveller on a steam train .lol.

Love the lumpy head on the gymnogeophagus balzani's it makes em look kinda cute, though generally im not a big fan of lumpy head fish, some of the flowerhorns ive seen out there look bloody ridiculous.Nice fish the balzani, though I dont doubt some numpty will try to selectively breed them so that they look like theyve got a goats testicle stuck to their heads.

How do you find em for temperament cupoflifenoodles? Not a species ive had personal experience of.

Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 04:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
OK,
I'll be slow and calm...but completely remove the "larger" black gravel with black sand. Thanks.

I think "eventually" I'll get one more tank...a 125g. For the fish that grow larger that I have (Bala Sharks, etc). I'll save the black gravel for that tank.

I added 4 Bolivian Rams (beautiful little guys!) to my cichlid tank over the weekend. The 2 Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus that I got are in my peaceful non-cichlid tank that was already covered with mixed creek sand (until I can make the cichlid substrate more accomidating for the eartheaters)

thanks guys.
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2008 15:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies