AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Ever heard of a black kuhli loach?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeEver heard of a black kuhli loach?
howling_greywolf
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
female canada
EditedEdited by howling_greywolf
I was just wondering if anyone can give me ideas on what they prefer and what types they get along with. I heard loaches get along with almost everything but is this true? Also how big do kuhli loaches get? Should a tank be a specific size?/:'

THE GOD LIKE COW SALUTES YOU!
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2006 23:35Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
The normal kuhli loach gets to 4in. but i dought the Black one is much diffrent. The tank doesnt need to be big but it needs a lot of hiding places.

Chris
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2006 01:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
usa
Care and feeding is the same as the standard striped kuhli. They grow to the same size, too.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2006 02:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I've been looking everywhere for black kuhlis and they just don't have them near me. Since I have a big tank I gave in and got some dojo loaches which overall have the same shape as kuhlies but get much bigger. More like 10" instead of 4".

Kuhlis like lots of hiding places and the more company the better. They tend to actually hide more in bare tanks than when they know there's a safe hole they can dive into. They still usually aren't as active and visible as some other loach species. They'll get along with most any fish that isn't big enough to eat them or really agressive. A 10g is usually considered ok for a few kuhlis if there isn't much for other fish but a 20g would be a much better minimum size. Especially if you want to keep very many of them since the more you have the more likely they are to be out interacting where you can see them.
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2006 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
synodontis
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 2000
Votes: 1099
male newzealand
Kuhli's are really peaceful and will get along with each other and other types of fish. Just make sure you do not put them in with aggressive fish or large fish that may try and eat them. As for tank size, you could put a few in a 10g but you wouldn't be able to fit many tankmates, so aim for a 20g or larger as bigger is better
I don't have any black kuhlis because they are too expensive around here so I hope they are a bit more affordable where you are

--------------------------
Billy was a scientist, Billy is no more. For what he thought was H20, was H2SO4
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2006 08:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
howling_greywolf
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
female canada
were I am the black kuhlies are only 1.50 canadian. I've also bought a dojo loach now + another 20 gallon to go with my first tank

THE GOD LIKE COW SALUTES YOU!
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 19:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
If you can't find the black koolies, my local petsmart has them.
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 20:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies