SubscribeFeeding kuhli loaches
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Hi,
What and how should I feed kuhli loaches? I've tried the sinking algea wafers but they dont seem to be interested in those. Should I arrange for some moon-light arrangement to encourage them to come out and feed when the main lights go out?
Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2006 18:21Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
i drop mine in shrimp pellets and a little extra flake food. i dont know how your tank is setup. but mine has no plants so they hide under rocks all day long and come out late at night and eat. only reason i know for sure and i didnt lose them is that i see mine when i'm cleaning and they have grown quite a bit. and I have moon light kits and found it doesnt help. but again, this is my setup

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2006 19:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
synodontis
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 2000
Votes: 1099
male newzealand
I feed mine at night after I turn their lights out. I feed them a type of pellet that breaks up quickly so they can eat it more easily, and they seem to be quite fond of that. I don't think setting up some moon-light system is needed

--------------------------
Billy was a scientist, Billy is no more. For what he thought was H20, was H2SO4
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 02:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I dont feed mine anything special at all. They are in the Betta tank. I have four different type of dry foods plus the frozen blood worms twice a week. They are always swimming around the tank on the hunt for food and cleaning up the bottom, in and around the placed no other fish could ever go.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 02:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I have four in my 6ft. Like Keith I dont do anything special for them.

They tend to be able to find food in the nooks and crannies where the other fish cant go. I think you'll find that yours are doing the same.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 10:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I occasionally drop some sort of bottom-feeder food in for them. The are definitely great for finding bits of food other fish have missed though

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2006 15:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

Question:

Has anyone here fed live Bloodworms to fishes in an aquarium whose population contains Kuhlii Loaches?

Has anyone actually seen Kuhliis eat live Bloodworm?

I'd be interested to find out about this, because among the loaches, Kuhliis are superbly equipped (as noted above) for being able to reach places that are inaccesible to most other fishes. Including under the gravel!

I suspect that they would eat live Bloodworm given the opportunity, but I am interested to know if anyone here has actually seen them do so. Even better, if someone has a photo of them doing just that, post it here!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2006 00:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
As I mentioned I feed frozen blood worms twice a week and I have never actually noticed if they are eating the worms. The next time I feed the worms I will watch very carefully for you.'

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2006 05:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Yesterday, I fed them frozen blood worms after the main lights were tunred off. In the dim light from other room, I actually saw one come to the surface and grab some of the blood worms. Cant say anything about live BWs.
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2006 06:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I took particular notice when I fed the Betta tank this morning. I made sure some of the BWs were in an area where they are always visable and within seconds some of the Khulis were hunting in and all over the substrate. On this basis I would say they were eating the BWs.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2006 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
I have seen my kuhlies come out occassionally when I feed live tubifex worms and try to get to them, though they are not that good at eating them coz the clowns and other loaches usually are far more aggressive and slurp up the worms really quick. I am however sure that the kuhlies are able to get to the ones that wriggle into the gravel. I dont feed anything special for the kuhlies and they are always able to find food.

Once in a while, I see a kuhlie quickly grab a food pellet that's fallen to the floor and go into hiding, but that's very very occassional.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2006 06:37Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies