SubscribeIdeal size
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 137
Votes: 30
female uk
EditedEdited by BlackNeonFerret
Currently i have 3 Young (<2ins) Albino Bronze Catfish (Corydoras Aeneus) they're in a 15, but we're going to try and buy a bigger tank for when they're fully grown. Would a tank 36" X 18" X 18" be ok for them? That would be 182.25l. 48US Gallons 40.5 UK Gallons. Baisicaly, could i get about 6 happy cories in there. I think yes, but i need to chenck. What's the minimum size for these three as adults?
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 10:56Profile PM Edit Report 
bonny
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Engineer in waiting
Kudos: 498
Votes: 7
male uk
3 adult cories would be happy in that 15, but 10 adult cories would be even happier in the 40
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Bronze Corys Corydoras aeneus are among the largest Corys, and reach 3 inches or so. However, in a 40 gallon, that is't a major worry, and you'd definitely have room for 6. In fact, as bonny suggested above, you've room for 10. They'd probably thank you immensely if you did that - put 10 in a 40 - and reward you with the patter of tiny fins, in which case you could make some money selling the babies.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 13:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
I agree with the above. Cories are a type of schooling fish and tend to be happier when they are in groups of there own. I have 6 Pepper Cories in a 20g tank and they do good and seem happy. More room for the fish will alsways make them happy. A larger tank will also be more stable resulting in healthier fish. I also agree, you may get some little ones roaming around which is always cool to see.

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 18:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Thanks. We don't have the bigger tank yet, but when we get the money sorted, hopefully then. They're happy in their three at the moment, but if when i get a bigger tank i'm getting more.
Also, once i've got a bigger tank, i would still like cories in my 15 (i love corys - they rock) could you fit pandas/pygmys in there? if so how many?
Thanks again
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 13:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
In your 15, you could have 8 Pandas with ease.

Give you an idea of what is possible, my Panda Fun Palace is a 24" x 12" x 12" aquarium. That aquarium contains 12 adult Pandas (plus a baby one that's recently appeaed!), 12 Cardinals and 4 Otocinclus. If your 15 is of similar dimensions or slightly bigger, you could replicate my Panda Fun Palace.

However, if you choose to do this, and replicate my stocking, water changes and gravel vacs will need to be pretty frequent. Mine receive theirs twice per week.

Oh, if you decide to put 12 Pandas in your 15, be advised that your life will NEVER be the same again. Once they settle in, and they start to engage in the comedy slapstick antics for which the species is famous, they will charm your socks off. You will NEVER be able to visualise a life without at least one aquarium full of Panda Corys ever again. If they spawn, their hold over you will be eternal.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 16:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
Thanks everyone. My 15 is the same dimensions as your panda fun palace. a whole tank of pandas.....and boris - my betta.

When we get the bigger tank and have moved everything, i probably will get 8 pandas. at least.....
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 12:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I'm glad to know that the albino cories will be ok in a 40g. I have 4 in my 29g at the moment...they are all small, around an inch. I have plans to move them to a new 55g eventually, but I won't be able to set that tank up for awhile now. I am setting up a 38g tank for my harlies and betta and wanted to add my pandas from the 29g and the albinos to the 38g (mainly because I'll have Eco-Complete which the cories in my 55g love!) and it will be almost like they are on sand. I was afraid of leaving them in the 38g too long, but now I'm not as worried. Hopefully I can get my other 55g set up within 6 months or so.

I haven't seen you around much BNF! Its good to see you on here.

Enjoy the pandas when you get them. I hope to add more once I move them to the 38g. They are cuties!

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2006 20:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BlackNeonFerret
-----
Enthusiast
female uk
I was busy for a while - but now i'm back
Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get the bigger tank and the pandas

Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 18:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies