L# Khuli Loaches
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeKhuli Loaches
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 1

I just bought 4 khuli loaches for my 46 bow. I have 5 gold fish (lift over from cycling) and 4 alge eaters. I have drift wood, plants, and some larger rocks. How do I get the loaches to come out and stop hiding? Does it just take alittle time? Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2006 03:42Profile PM Edit Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
Kuhli loaches naturally hide. I don't think that you will see them much if they are in a large tank but thats ok. They will enjoy the large area to hide. If they become comfortable in their surroundings they will start coming out from their hidyholes to forage for food.

by the way do you have good filtration? You need a filter recommended for twice the size of your tank atleast if you are keeping 4 goldfish in a 46 gallon tank. what kind of goldfish are they? standar gold fish that you buy at an inch long grow a foot long each.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2006 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
synodontis
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 2000
Votes: 1099
male newzealand
It sounds like your kuhlis are doing what kuhlis do best: hide. But yeah with time they will appear a bit more often, but don't expect to see them too often like other more active species of loaches.
and also, do you know what kind of algae eaters you have?

--------------------------
Billy was a scientist, Billy is no more. For what he thought was H20, was H2SO4
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2006 05:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
My Khuils must be different at any time of the day I can always see several of them in fact two are only ins from the key board now. In the front of the Betta tank I have a long low growing Anubias tied to a rock. They just love swimming and laying in and under it. They prefer shady areas bring that to the front and you will be able to see them all the time.
There is a photo in my PhotoBucket of how tame they are.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2006 05:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Thanks all for your replies.

I took the time today to do alittle cleaning in the tank. About a half water replacement and quick cleaning of the rocks.

Afterwards I saw 2 loaches come out for alittle. I am alittle concerned that I haven't see the other 2 since putting them in. How can I be sure that they are eating if I can't see them?

The alge eaters were just called "alge eaters" at the LFS. About an inch long and was told they won't get much bigger. Its fun to watch the goldfish school together now. I am going to take them out within the next two weeks and give them to my uncles for their ponds.

I didn't realize how much of a pain it is to clean these things.

Thanks
Matt
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2006 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Usually what are just labelled as "algae eater" at the stors are chinese algea eaters which most definitely won't stay small. They get quite large and at around 6" and larger they stop eating algae and get agressive towards the other fish in the tank.If your algae eaters actually stay 1" they are probably otocinclus.
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2006 08:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
i've got 3 khuli's in my 55g tank. and i very Rarely see mine unless i'm cleaning the tank. i did for a while when i first got them and they were only about 1/2 inch long. then they disappeared, actually thought they died, as i initially lost one. but i found them last month and now their about 3 inches long.

as for the chinese algea eaters, i've got two, got them both at the same time a year and half ago and they were just under 3/4 of an inch. now the one is about an inch and the other is almost two. one has its color as original, but the other lost alot of his (pics when i can get them) and they chase each other, but still get along.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2006 15:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
psuklinger
-----
Fingerling
Last night I turned the light out early, then came back about an hour later and turned on a lamp to watch the loaches. Sure enough 3 of them were out, but one wasn't with them. I came back a number of times and only saw 3. Came in this morning, still only 3. Could one of them have died? If so how can I fine him to get rid of him?

Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 14:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
By now the body has probably been eaten. I would run an ammonia test today and then 2 days from now just to be certain but bottom feeders like loaches and algae eaters generally clean up anything that dies. Also if you have any snails in there they make a wonderful cleanup crew. I lost a 7" farlowella and never knew it until I took the tank down.
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 20:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies