Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
I've recently acquired two Upside Down Catfish for one of my aquaria (probably Synodontis nigriventris, given that this is the closest visual match on Planet Catfish). Lovely fish. Just one problem. They hide out of sight.

I've tried rearranging the bogwood in the tank, and placing thick card over their home on the condensation tray in order to encourage them to be a little more active and visible during the daytime, but no, they're resolutely out of sight. Any ideas how I can persuade them to be visible, whilst still providing them with a decent home containing bogwood and plants? Only it's a shame that these cute fish stay in hiding all the time, and since I did splash out a fair amount of money on these, I really would like to see them!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2012 19:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Time might be the main thing you need, they may come out more when they're more comfortable. You say you've rearranged the bogwood, presumably plenty of overhangs that you can see around, less spaces behind the bogwood that you can't see. In my experience with S. eupterus (I know it's not the same species, but they seem to have similar habits), they will stay in the darkest place they can until they come out at night... after several years of that, my larger S. eupterus actively swims around the tank during the day. You may want to arrange the bogwood such that there is a dark corner toward the front of the tank where you can see them even though they are "hiding" in one of the darkest places in the tank.

><>
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2012 01:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Turns out a bogwood rearrangement worked. Now, even though they don't show themselves all the time, they do come out when I drop food into the aquarium. Which is more than they used to - previously, they only came out to feed at night.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2012 02:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies