AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Oddball and catfish fans? Try the asian stinging catfish.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOddball and catfish fans? Try the asian stinging catfish.
rambo_motim
Small Fry
My tank
Kudos: 7
Votes: 2
male canada
EditedEdited 24-Dec-2010 01:53
This site doesn't have a profile for this catfish, and I don't know how to make one, soI'm posting here

Name: Heteropneustes fossilis or Asian stinging catfish, walking catfish
Area of the world: Asia, duh!
Size: Female:6 inch Male:4.5 inch (Mostly tail as they are very eel like in appearance.) Also, I've read about peoples who say they stop growing after a year and grow to be 80 cm! That, IME is complete bull. A fishermans tail( if you'll excuse the pun)
Water conditions: Temp of 78 is ideal, as they are tropical fish. However, don't feel restricted by this. They can be placed in just about any water temp and thrive IME. Mine have been in 78,69,64 and even 54(granted that was only for about a day)
Ph is anywhere from 7.0 to 8.5. Mine is at 8.3 because they are living with a cichlid( yes they can even live with cichlids )
Hardness: 1-7. I keep mine at 7 with no ill effects.
Tempermant: Peacefull, social with any fish you put in the aquarium, especially african cichlids IME. They both love to be around one another.
Despite with what you might read, they won't eat smaller fish unless they are dead IMO/IME. I had fry from my cichlids and they never touched them, even when the parents were removed.( Wanted to get rid of fry, but that didn't work) Even refused to eat a 3/4 inch fish by itself .
Water region: Bottom, but not even the water restricts where they'll venture during the night. I' ve woken up to a splash with mine laying on the carpet and I've even seen them jumping into the filter and then back out!
Time of day: Nocturnal, but we'll break for cover when food is offered during the day and when there's atleast 1 other catfish around.
Aquarium size: I kept mine in a 10 gallon when they were 3 inches each, and upgraded to a 30 once they were 5 and 4 inchs.
So, for a pair of adults, a 30 will fit the bill perfectly.
Gender: My male is a fair bit smaller, about 4.5 inches. My female is 6.5 inches. Females are stockier and mine has a puffed out "chest" which is mostly white.
Breeding: Mine have never succesfully bred, but they've laid eggs on 4 seperate occasions. None of them hatched:/
I used temp of 78 with ph 8.0. Eggs will be layed in pockets around the substrate, in java moss, (which they absolutly ADORE!) or even in a cave(which brings me to my next point). Parents will not eat eggs, but will not protect them either.
Decor: Lots of caves need to be provided as they are nocturnal. Also, don't use sharp or rough rocks, my female has quite a few scars from sharp rocks.
Also, IME, java moss is ESSENTIAL. Besides providing excellent hiding spots, they are pefect spwning sites. Substrate should be round, because they might hurt their reaaalllllly long whiskers on them. Not a very messy fish, so normal filtration is fine.
Tank mate: Any thing tht won't try to eat it or bite at the whiskers.
Color: Dark grey to black.
The perfect fish IMO. Essential to have 2 or more, as these guys are really social. Feed regular catfish food, but not live, because they're pacifists( well, at least mine are, and I'm not complaining!)
Long life span. Mine are about 6-8 years old and still supply with HOURS of fun each night. Also, forgot to mention this earlier, these guys can live in brackish( but fresh is a lot better) and can breath air for about an hour. Also, when handeling, I'd where protective gloves as these guys have a fatally poisonous stinger on there dorsal fin. They can put out this poison at will, but will only do this when stressed or feel cornered.
I used to worry about gloves, but then I realised these guys are SUPER chill. They've never stung another one of my fish before. (or me, otherwise I wouldn't be telling you guys about them XD)
The prefect fish for anyone IMO.

Alex
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2010 21:06Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
May I suggest this link enter the scientific name and click continue

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2010 06:35Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
rambo_motim
Small Fry
My tank
male canada
Thanks Babel I'll do that.

Alex
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2010 13:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rambo_motim
Small Fry
My tank
male canada
Hmmmm won't accept the scientific name...... Wonder why?

Alex
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2010 15:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies