SubscribeRTBS vs. SAE
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
Has anyone ever kept a red-taled black shark with a siamese algae eater? I currently have 3 SAE's and I'm thinking of adding a RTBS. I know that RTBS's are aggressive towards similar looking fish...do SAE's fall into that category?
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 05:49Profile PM Edit Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
EditedEdited by sora
What size tank is it? the bigger it is the better it would be for an RTBS. they can be pretty aggressive in general. They mightbe aggressive towards the SAE's not for how they look but because they chare the same area (bottom) and maybe go for the same food. whats the bottom look like? broken up? could the RTBS have its own territory?

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 06:35Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
its 38 gallons, the SAE's are all over the tank
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have had RTBS with the SAEs and never a problem in a 5ft tank. As the RTBS got bigger and older he just took over the whole tank even bossing the big CLs twice his size. The SAEs are fast and got out of his way.
Now that answers your question about in the same tank. Seeing you tank is a lot smaller I personally dont think the SAE will go too well as soon as he starts to get bigger.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 06:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
thats pretty much what i was thinking. well anyways that after awhile the tank just wont be big enough. i hear rainbow sharks are less agressive. but ive never kept them nor know how big they get so just a thought

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 07:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
male usa
I think rainbow sharks can get about an inch longer than RTBS's, thats why I was thinking RTBS instead. Looks like I'll have to come up with something else for the bottom of my tank. I've got 2 cories but I don't know if I wanna get more of those or something else. Anyone have experience with striped raphael cats? I think those are much less active though right?
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 09:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
I have 3 rainbows in my 150g (6ft long) with a SAE and there is no problems between any of them. The SAE is just under 3 inches long and my rainbows are all about 4 inches. And they've lived together peacefully for over a year now.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 12-Dec-2007 14:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Striped raphaels? awsome! my favorite kind of fish! well with your tank size you might be able to get away with it lol. ive personally never had any agression problems. but if you have smaller fish in the tank like neon tetras or something then as he gets bigger those may become a midnight snack. your right in that they dont do much. i seem to have lucked out and gotten one that isnt to light shy but i hear that alot of people hardly ever see theirs. best of luck and if you get the raphael then good choice lol

Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 01:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
ImRandy85 , Hi . I've kept all manner of sharks with SAE's for a long time . I've never noticed any interaction between them at all . As far as Sharks go though the RTBS are generally the bad tempered ones but usually only pick on other sharks . Redfin Sharks and particularly Albino Redfins are much better tempered . Remember though this can vary with different individuals . On the bright side all sharks are very interactive with their owners so they are great fun .
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 02:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies