L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Shrimp question
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShrimp question
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Kudos: 78
Votes: 1
I have been looking into getting some shrimp and what I read is that they're not compatible do to crossbreeding. What is so bad about crossbreeding?
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2010 13:05Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
There isn't anything objectively bad about crossbreeding, but it can be argued on moral/ethical grounds.

First of all, crossbreeding results in organisms that are "unnatural", and I have found that most aquarists that are serious tend to want to keep things as natural as possible.

Secondly, crossbreeding makes it confusing for buyers of hybrid young, especially when sellers mislabel the animals as pure. This is an increasing problem with Synodontis species.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2010 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 05-Jan-2010 00:18
As long as you are not intent on selling said shrimp and are raising them for your own use/enjoyment, there's really not much of a problem. It's when you trade/sell the shrimp or fish or dogs or cats that people get into a tizzy. What could possibly be wrong with mating a Wiener dog and a Saint Bernard?

Also this thread should have been posted in "Invertebrates".

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 00:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Kudos: 78
Votes: 1
Shinigami
I like variety and the shrimp I am interested in can crossbreed which i dont mind.

Kelly
I don't plan on selling them unless I start getting overrun then I would sell them as feeders, I heard after I posted that the offspring were ugly lol. I love your breeding a wiener dog and saint bernard. I could almost imagine what it would look like.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 00:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies