AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Suggestions for an algae eater in a 10G tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSuggestions for an algae eater in a 10G tank?
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 14
Votes: 4
female usa
Hi there,
My tank is going through its cycling process right now, and I am beginning to look into getting an algae eater once its cycled.. any suggestions on which type would be good for a 10G aquarium? My local fish store said that a common algae eater would be good for my tank since its a community tank, but I have tetras and am wondering if they will live alright together.. I'm just asking this because I noticed on the profile on this website, that they can become aggressive as they get older..
Any suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2006 05:20Profile PM Edit Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
probably a CAE or chinese algae eatter for short.

tempting, but when adults, they have agressive personalities.

i wouldn't go this way, try removing it by hand, as a 10 gallon isn't really enough room for a pleco, and ottos i believe would like a established tank.
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2006 06:31Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Ottos would be a good choice once the tank is established. They're a bit sensitive so if you're interested in them it would be best to wait a while ven after the tank is finished cycling. And they like to have company of their own kind

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2006 10:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
EditedEdited by Garofoli
Otocinclus

Chris
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2006 14:38Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 29-May-2006 14:38
This post has been deleted
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Just make sure to add ottos (otocinclus) after the tank is cycled and you have a good supply of algae for them.

CAEs are nasty little buggers. They get more aggressive with age, can reach up to 12 inches (way too big for a 10g), and may be tempted to suck the slime coats of your tetras (I lost 2 danios that way). My advice, stay away from them. They are usually labelled as a "common" algae eater or just an algae eater in stores.

Ottos are about the best bet for algae eaters in a 10g. Everything else gets too big.

When you have cycled the tank and have a good supply of algae, I would add 3 ottos. They can be sensitive and you may lose one. Just make sure to have atleast 2 (they like having buddies).

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2006 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited by reneeandpauly1
are ottos safe to have in tank with tetras? I'm just curious as I've never heard of them before..
Also, are they usually available in a local fish store?
Lastly, is it okay to have 3 in a 10g aqaurium? I read on the fish profile that you should have 1 in a 10g even though they recommend 2-3 for companionship because there may not be enough algae in the tank?
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2006 07:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
They are safe with tetras. They usually mind their own business or hang out with their companions

As far as availability I guess you really just have to check around. In my area I don't see them at the chain pet stores but I do at the lfs.

Ottos will generally accept algae wafers as a supplement. Mine also liked broccoli and fresh spinach as a treat. You can also put some rocks in a small glass or jar filled with water, leave it on a window ledge where it will get a lot of sunshine, and pretty soon you'll have nice algae growing on the rocks that the ottos will love. Keep a few in rotation so you always have 1 or 2 ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2006 11:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
I had 2 in my 10g, but one died. My lone otto is fine, but I hope to get him a friend soon.

I think 3 would be fine, but make sure there is some algae. I would get 3, just because usually one won't make it a week. They are usually very skinny when they get to the LFS. Even if they eat in your tank, they still may not make it.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2006 17:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Otocinclus are also known to engage in the semi-parasitic behavior of sucking on the slime coats of other fish. They are not as tenacious about it as the CAE is, but they definitely have a tendency to do it.

I have only witnessed it on larger fish, however, such as Discus, Angelfish, Gouramis, and other "saucer"-shaped fish. Your tetras are not a likely target, so it is nothing to worry about in your tank.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2006 23:09Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
This habit develops out of necessity.
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2006 00:55Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
So it would be okay if put 3 in a 10g tank shortly after my tank cycles? Just worried they wouldn't have enough algae..I also have algae wafers so that would be okay?
How do you add the spinach leaves to the tank?
Thanks for all the great advice
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2006 01:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
Before I got the ottos in my 29g, I had never seen the others (3 in the 55g and 2 in the 10g) eat algae wafers...or veggies. Only algae!

But, the 3 ottos in the 29g tear into the wafers and shrimp pellets. Its a feeding frenzy every night with them and the cories.

So yes, feed them an algae wafer every night, just in case there isn't enough algae.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2006 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reneeandpauly1
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Okay that sounds good..
The only reason I was asking is that before I had a regular chinese algae eater in my 10g, and when I fed him an algae wafer every night, he wouldn't eat them..I didn't know if it was just HIM or if it was algae eaters in general..
but with me getting the ottos, you all think that they will eat the algae wafter pellets? I'm assuming I place them in the back of the tank as thats the place where they eat the most algae correct?
I'll probably end up getting 3 of the ottos, as suggested for the 10g as soon as my tank finishes cycling..and then feed them algae wafers once a night (1)
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2006 09:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies