SubscribeType of otto
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
EditedEdited by thursday
I bought pair of Ottos 'bout 3 mo. ago. Well, now it looks like I have a male and female. But One of them, when I got it, had a really pale head. Well, now he has some weird coloration... he has spots on his back, like he's some leopard otto or somthing, is there such a thing? I'm sorry, but I can't get pics, so you'll have to go by discription.

Thanks!
I'm listening....

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 22:37Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Otto info

This link might help you sorry this is the best I can do for you.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
If you go to http://www.planetcatfish.com and look up oto in the cat-elog you'll see links to 4 different species with pictures of each one. Some have bolder stripes, some are darker, and some are blotchy. Try comparing yours to those. It could also just be an individual difference in color.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 20:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Be advised that the Genus Otocinclus is overdue for revision, and that there are a brace of trade names in circulation that were once valid, but are now superseded. My specimens were sold to me as Otocinclus arnoldi, but the webmaster at PlanetCatfish agreed with my assessment that the fishes I possess are actually Otocinclus mariae.

Spotted ones are probably Otocinclus nattereri (assuming that that name is still valid) or Otocinclus flexilis. Here is the Planet Catfish page on the latter species:

Otocinclus flexilis

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 03:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies