L# Urgent Bristlenose advice !
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeUrgent Bristlenose advice !
Zincubus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Urgent help please .

I just pulled out my TUFA rock disdlay to enable a good vacuuming session but my MALE bristlenose was reluctant to let go of his piece of rock he and his wife usually just drop out back into the water quite happily . I then noticed about 10 or 15 egg like things but they seemed to be covered in a white mucus or something. Have they spawned and the eggs just rotted or is the white layer a protective cover ?

I put the rock back and added the other pieces and the male bristlenose was back in place on the same bit of rock . Could he be holding some HEALTHY eggs or even young babies ??

So confused I hope I haven¡¦t ruined things for the happy couple ƒº
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2009 10:18Profile PM Edit Report 
Zincubus
-----
Small Fry
He's still fanning either the eggs or young so maybe we may get a couple of babies
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2009 22:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hmmm, there is not normally a white mucus on the eggs, but if the eggs were rotting you wouldn't find them since males will eat failed eggs. Also, if the male is continuing to fan them then they're probably not dead.

Congrats!

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2009 22:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Zincubus
-----
Small Fry
mmm stopped fanning and left the nest !
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2009 17:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Agh, the spawn might've failed. If this is their first time this is not unexpected, first spawns often fail. Bristlenoses are fairly easy to spawn, so they could be trying again in as little as 3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2009 18:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Sorry to hear you lost the brood! Its devastating to loose the first few to be laid/born! It happens with most animals that actually care for their young (had some tragic episodes when I was breeding our pet rabbits a while back!) Dont worry they'll be back in the game soon enough and you'll have more than you know what to do with!

Good luck!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2009 21:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies