Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribepleco old?
Goh

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male australia au-victoria
Hi there, havent been active on these forums for years now, but im hoping i can get some help.
I have a pleco (of some sort, never found out the exact type, it has yellow spots on a black/brown body and is about 15-20cm long) and he is about 8 years old now. I've moved out of my parents home and my tank and my fish still live at my parents place. today when i went back to clean/water change i noticed that he wasn't in his usual hiding spot under the main driftwood, instead he was simply in the bare corner of the tank. secondly it seems like his abdomen may be slightly sunken (from memory they should at least be flat ?? his actually seems to go in a bit from the sides). he's normally quite shy, usually swimming for cover when i come into the room, but this time he just sat in the corner in the wide open space, and didnt care when i waved my hand infront of him. his scales and the rest of his body looks fine.
so im at a bit of a loss as to why he is in the state he is. Could it be just old age? (how old do you expect plecos to live?) or should i be suspecting something more sinister?

cheers
jono

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2010 07:27Profile ICQ PM Edit Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
here are a couple of pics (please ignore the dirty intake!)

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2010 07:40Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
he looks like he is starving... have your parents been feeding him well??

Life expectancy that i found for smaller pleco's is around 15-20 years, so I do not think its old age....
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2010 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Goh

-----
Big Fish
hmm.. i'm pretty sure they are being fed, my parents have been doing it for a couple of years now.
with regards to the age, have you had plecos live 15-20 years? i know i've read that figure in the wild, but am unsure of the figures for the home aquarium.

Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2010 10:06Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
What exactly is his feeding regime? Is he in the tank alone? Does he get lots of green veggies? Try putting a chunk of zucchini in the tank. Does he try to eat? Even if it is shy, it should make it's way to the chunk within half a hour.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2010 18:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
EditedEdited 28-Aug-2010 04:20
Looks like nothing a good feed would not fix.
I would also like to know a lot more about your tank by that I mean every thing water conditions, filtration, all the tank maintenance and how it is done?
Feeding especially what he is fed how much and how often.
Also what else is in the tank with him?
Does he have a mate, live plants to graze over, a cave or something similar that he can call his own?

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Aug-2010 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
gaulfinger
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 22
Votes: 66
male usa us-tennessee
Did I notice some plants in the tank? Is the setup old? I had a pleco of about 6-7 years old stop eating. Only after it was too late for her, I found that my plants had been accumulating dead roots (and all the toxic gases from decomposition) under the sand/gravel. She just wasn't happy with water quality even though things "seemed" fine.

I've heard it called "old tank syndrome". "Routine" maintenance just wasn't enough to really keep up with the substrate and over time the water quality had slowly changed. She had adapted with it, but reached a point where she just couldn't adapt any further. She stopped eating and wasted away. Oh the lessons of fishkeeping!
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2010 00:01Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies