Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeyoyo VS amno?
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
i want a yoyo for my tank (mainly to eat the snails, i know i could get a clown loach but they get so big) my main Q is will the yoyo eat my fully grown 3-4cm long amno's?

any help or info would be great
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 20:32Profile PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Are you talking about Amano shrimps?. If yes, I have kept them with a Clown Loach without problems in a well planted tank.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 23:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I don't know... I read the Amano shrimp max is 2 inches or 5 cm. The Yo-yo's max out at 11 cm or 4.3 inches. I think your shrimp might become dinner or a tasty snack given time. They may be safe for a while if the yo-yo's are juvies, but once they grow... I've been warned they LOVE any crustacean that can fit in its mouth! I'm planning on getting a few in a couple of weeks. I'm praying they don't go after my apple snails. (They can have the ghost shrimp)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 05:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I have two skunk loaches in with amanos and cherry shirmp in my well planted 55G. I have never seen them attack a shrimp. I am not seeing my cherry shrimp population shrink either.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 13:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Jeremy
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 42
Votes: 4
male usa
Yoyo's can become larger than 4 inches I have one at this time in the 6+ range. They also can become quite pushy twards other tank mates. You would also want to keep them in a group. However as to how they would treat the shrimp I do not know.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 20:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
To start off with how big is the tank with the snails? Yes Yoyo do get bigger and they prefer to be in small schools 6+
I have had two small snail outbreaks in the 45lt Cardinal/Cherry red shrimp tank. I bought a very small Clown Loach which cleaned up the tank extremely fast it is not only the snails it is the eggs as well. As soon as he grew bigger he went straight into the 5ft tank.

I know there are other loaches that can do the job but there is concerns with them. I fully realize CLs do require special treatment but I can provide it in both of the tanks.
If you can keep a small one for a year or so then try to find a new home for it could be an option for you.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
robbanp
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 808
Votes: 205
male sweden
I recomend dwarf loaches, Botia sidthimunki, if they are available in your area. They are becoming rather common in Sweden at least. I have had a group of six for a few years now and have only possitive thoughts about them.

Regarding the yoyo, having never had one, I vouldn't worry to much about it starting to eat grown shrimps. Thoose apple snails on the other hand would surely die a slow and painful death as they would be eaten a few pieces a day. My Sids demolished a pond snail half their (one, not all together) size in a matter of minutes. Fatter fish are never seen in my tanks.

So here I am once more...
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2009 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies