L# 110 Malawi Cichlid Tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe110 Malawi Cichlid Tank
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
I am thinking of using sand substrate in a 110 gallon tank with plenty of rocks for hiding places. My question is, how on Earth should I go about choosing the Malawi cichlids, and about how many fish will I need to make the tank look vibrant and alive. My fear is that the tank will become a "killing field". Any advice will be appreciated? I know how aggressive these little guys can be.

Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2010 13:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/quick_reference_list.php

This link will give you some good starting points to work off of but it is definitely not fool proof as cichlids have personalities.

Its also not limited to these suggestions but at least gives you a basic idea of the possibilities.
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2010 14:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
dobsie
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 18
Votes: 0
male usa
Well you could go with a mix of smaller Mbuna and Frontosas (Lake Tang)

5 Frontosas which ever strand you like or can get a hold of.

5-7 Cyno. Afras cobue the get around 5-6 inches at least mine are close to that
5-7 Acei they will be in all areas of the tank top or bottom

For contrasting color
5-7 Yellow Labs they get around 4 inches but I have one that is close to 6

and a syno or two that get along and you like.

Sand and lots of rock work

and some 50/50 bulbs with blue acitinc will look good

this is what a lot of people keep in a 125 gallons, but should be ok in a 110.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2010 05:11Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sir Syklyd

-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
male micronesia
If your fish could talk, they would thank you for the sand, instead of a gravel substrate.

For your rock decor, I suggest that you try to find a lot of flat, thin rocks with which you can build a lot of cave structures. The more caves, the merrier your mbunas will be. The idea is to maximize the number of hiding places, while minimizing the amount of space that is used to create them. In other words,large bulky rocks are out.

If you are going with mbunas -- rock dwellers -- try to keep the top level of the rock decor below half of the tank's height, and preferably only about a third or fourth of the tank's height. Mbunas don't like to go up near the surface, as they are not open-water fish.

You may want to consider setting up just a species tank...meaning just one species of fish. While you may not have a lot of color variation in a species tank, you will be blessed with a lot of interesting behavior as the fish become acclimated to your tank, and begin to grow, mate and spawn.

For example, I have a tank of gorgeous electric blue mbunas. I started with five fish in April of 2009 and now have several dozen in the tank, and they are a pleasure to watch. In fact, just yesterday, my original female spawned for the 11th time, and I had a ringside seat. This time she laid about two dozen eggs, which she is now incubating in her mouth.

I hope the above helps.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 05:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
Just to update you, the tank is looking incredible. The fish are breeding and vibrant. Many hiding places and no problems at all. Thanks for the advice.

Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2010 13:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sir Syklyd

-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
male micronesia
Just to update you, the tank is looking incredible. The fish are breeding and vibrant. Many hiding places and no problems at all. Thanks for the advice.

Hello. It has been a while since I have visited this messageboard. Life keeps me rather busy.

I was just wondering if there might be a way to view your 110-gallon tank online somewhere.

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2011 02:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies