Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe1 Krib in a Community?
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Is it at all possible to have a Kribensis in a 30g long community, with no mate? I love my krib, even though he seems a bit agressive. I really want to keep him, and i was wondering if i could keep him with other fish such as 8 Rasboras (Harlequins), 8 Black phantom tetras/serpae tetras/bleeding hearts, a BN pleco, 5-6 Kuhli Loaches, 3 swordtails (No where they can go, except in another 10 gallon), 1 dwarf gourami, and 2 opaline gourami? I dunno about this, and the krib is getting pretty big for a 10g. I am going to plant the 10g downstairs, and then add some of my fish into there, whichever wont fit in the 30g. I could take out the tetras, or lower the number of harleys, but i cant adjust anything else beyond that. Both tanks are going to be heavily planted, with many caves and slates. I really hope i can have him with no probs.

Thanks!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2007 23:50Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It can be done not a problem BUT that does not mean the fish will be happy. Various Kribs will/could react differently to being a lone fish and being in a community tank. My 5 Bolivian Rams have settled in extremely well.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 02:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
I agree with Keith that Kribs need companions to show their true color. Not sure how two males will interact - I never have two males. But multiple females are nice to keep. One of them will show very brilliant color. I'd avoid keeping a breeding pair, if agression is your main concern.
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 05:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Aww......Thats too bad....I wish i could get another male, but im sure they will fight! I wish i could get a female instead, but.....I dont know of any place that accepts the krib that i have, and i really dont want to give it away.....I think i will just give it a mate in the 10 gallon i have, and make it a krib family tank. I think i will have fun making the tank too! What do you suggest when they do breed, if they do? I will have lots of flat slate, and i will have black gravel with lots of plants on there too!

Thanks!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 05:42Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Yup two adult male kribs in that space, thats a kinda fight to the death scenario. Lot of the african river cichlids have the same temperament about that kind of thing. Kribs, jewels, all the same sort of temperament as regards same sexes. My pseadocrenilabrus nicholsii at the same size as a ram tried to kill each other in a 55 gal.

Friendly like bulldogs chewing a wasp.Oddly enough the nicholsii and the jewel males get on. Two of the most explosive personalities in african river cichlids, and they completely ignore each other. Wouldnt have guessed that one. Did it in one tank and then another just to see if it was a fluke. One species is hyperaggressive the other hyperdefensive , and they dont even aknowledge each other yet will beat the hell out of anything else.

Show either one of em a krib and the krib would get its face beaten in. I so dont get the logic of that.

Odd. Most odd.
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2007 09:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
Depending on the size of your breeding pair. 10G might be too small in most of the cases. They would not breed if they don't feel comfortable, and may even beat each other up (usually male beats up the female, with the size advantage). 20G is much better for a regular size breeding pair. You may need to add a couple of dithering fish. It will also give the space needed for the frys, initially.

Breeding kribs is easy. Give them some flat slates and a small flower pot. Let them choose their spawning site. They'll take care of the rest. Watching them raise a batch of frys is one of the most rewarding moment in fish keeping. But.. like you say, it is difficult to sell your young kribs to the LFS. Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 21-Dec-2007 03:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies