Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe2 Yellow Electric fighting
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
I've had 1 Yellow Electric that has lived only with other species of fish. I got this fish from another guy who I got the tank from. I did buy a 3 small yellow electrics before in the past. I do not know what went wrong, but they died 1 by 1 over an extended period of time. I never saw the big yellow electric chase them. Well yesterday I decided to try to give it another shot. I bought a small and a big yellow electric. The small one I was told, was a female. I agree with that conclusion as there is a lump under its mouth/throat w/e.As for the big one, it is actually even bigger than the one I've had for a while. When I first bought it in the tank, the old big one did not attack the new big one and vice versa. However the old big yellow chased the Psedutropis Acei in the tank. Today now, the old yellow electric ignores the acei and vice versa like usual. However now the old yellow constantly chases the new yellow and tries biting. The new one does not fight back and just trys to swim away. Both of them ignore the small yellow electric and vice versa. Looking at the old one, I think it might possibly sick too... Its scales are more plain in color by its tail. I should have paid more attention at the store, but didn't notice it till today. So I have a breeder net. I didn't know what to do, so in the mean time I put the new yellow in there so that the old one would leave it alone. So what should I do?

1. Release the new back into the tank?
2. Get rid of the new one?
Or what?
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2009 19:47Profile PM Edit Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
EditedEdited by Babelfish
The new guy got bitten up a bit. So I brought the old guy to the LFS finally yesterday
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2009 20:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
odds are they are males and will fight forever. these are called "mbuna" and come from lake malawi. this particular cichlid is best kept in 4ft tanks and kept with 5+ of its own kind. electric yellows/yellow labs go very well with acei.

Dont think you mention the size of your tank but in a perfect world you want 1 male to 4 females with both yellows and aceis. this is because even females get harassed but its not aggression its for breeding.

Also the color of the yellows can change depending on a few things. A harassed yellow will look dull as its stressed. There are multiple locations yellows come from. each location differs in color. some with white bellies some not.

another cause is severe over breeding. over breeding is done in mass and the breeder cares little of coloring only of numbers. very little if any culling is done and its all the same to the breeder. bend backs warped faces bad coloring is all in the mix for you to enjoy. welcome to petco.

Hormones, stupid tawain fish grown in huge pools allot like over breeders. these fish are constantly fed hormones to age them quicker showing colors earlier in life. this will stunt their overall growth and once off the hormones for a bit their color fades.

get a 55g or better when dealing with mbuna. have at least 1 male to 4 females with allot of rock work. do some research and learn more about them.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2009 01:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
They were in a 90 gallon tank with Acei too. Observing the bitten up yellow electric. He is eating and now has claimed the hollow log (I think its cermac? bought at LFS a year ago, not Petco). Gets along fine with the other fish and vice versa though it does chase out the acei who try to come into the log. I see him actually eating now too. I didn't really notice him eating when he was being chased
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2009 03:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2009 17:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies