AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# 55G Dwarf Cichlid Tank Suggestions...
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe55G Dwarf Cichlid Tank Suggestions...
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
Just got a 55G and am thinking about turning it into a Dwarf Cichlid community tank. My ph is 7.6 and i would use driftwood, live plants and eco complete. Please suggest a good stocking plan with numbers of each fish that would be good for my tank. I'd like a couple of schools of active and colorful fish as well. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 04:15Profile PM Edit Report 
agent_orange
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 77
Votes: 31
male usa
As far as which of the smaller cichlids would work in a community 55 gallon you have a lot of choices. Most of the Apistogramma's would work and most of them are very pretty by themselves. Kribs would work are are quite striking in appearance, although they get a bit moody if/when they breed. Rainbow Cichlids would also be a great choice, which can change their color based on their intentions(like feeding, breeding, aggression, etc.). Rams are also a pretty common choice as well as keyhole cichlids. A combination of some of these would work as well. I'm sure there are quite a few more that would work, but it's all in what you like.

Depending on which dwarf cichlids you decide, there's still a whole variety of other fish to choose from. Tetra schools can add a lot of color and provide some action. Guppy's or other livebearers will provide some live food and movement in the mid/top section of the tank. Tiger barbs and cherry barbs would also bring a lot of movement to the tank as well as color. Hatchets or gourami's can be used to fill out the top area of the tank. As far as the cleanup crew go you could use corys, otos, some of the smaller-medium plecos, SAE, among others.

Hopefully something above catches your eye and give us more to work with and narrow down. Another factor that could come into play might be availability at your LFS of some of the above. If you wanted to go with an all cichlids community tank, this would be a good site to look over http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

What does that mean, Bob? "Till the cows come home." Where have the cows been?
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2007 06:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies