L# All Chiclids
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAll Chiclids
aiwa711
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 1
i was wondering if you can put any chiclid with eachother like african and american together
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 18:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
It is possible with certain species but if you don't have any experience with cichlids I wouldn't try it. What species did you have in mind?
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 21:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
In terms of water quality- yes you can, not the rift cichlids, but there are many african river cichlids that live in exactly the same water conditions and temperatures as many of the amazon cichlids. The big rivers in the world as long as they are from similar temperatures often have exactly the same water perameters, but the rift lakes have too much hardness and ph differences for them to be mixed in with river species..

Youll still get compatibility issues though, probably fighting, and disease issues, But with good quarantine and careful compatability stocking its doable. Jewel cichlids and kribs for example live in very similar water values to the SA cichlids. Ive mixed kribs and rams for years in big tanks with no issues.

Its better practice not to mix them, but if youre experienced, it can be done. Its not something for newbies and beginners to try though. Mixing the wrong species could lead to serious fighting and deaths.
Post InfoPosted 21-Apr-2007 23:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
Though its probably never reccomended, it's quite possible. I do it quite often in my tanks.

You just need to plan out the fishes right. Don't mix any wild caught fish, or F1/F2, so they can be easily adjusted to neutral pH (I keep most of my tanks at 7.0 just for the ease of transplanting and mixing fish). pH isn't quite as important with most species of fish, most will thrive with 7.0 water. Discus have even become adjusted to higher pH and readily spawn.

A key factor is mixing only non aggressive or slightly aggressive fish, since fish from different regions use different forms of communicating aggression. Usually passive fish won't bother each other and get along fine.

Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2007 07:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies