female canada
Hi guys

I'd like to know if you think Angel Rams would fit with my current load:

6 Redeyed tetras
3 Tiger Barbs
1 Cherry Barb
1 Serpae
1 Danio

I have a 42G tall tank which means not much surface area. If I can have them, how many would you think and what special care should I take.

Thanks much!!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 02:47Profile PM Edit Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
No opinions from anyone??

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 18:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
Hi Mitch how goes it ? Good to see another Canuck in here !

Is sounds like you have ALOT of room left so the Angel Rams should fit in no problem

Edit - caught your other question - number, as with most dwarf sa cichlids, either one, or a group of 3 or more. A usual setup for rams is 1 male and 2 or 3 females, The biggest thing for rams is they are fairly sensitive to nitrates. Keep up weekly water changes and should be fine. I wouldn't want to exceed 20 ppm if possible. As for foods rams aren't extremely picky, eating most flakes (mine liked the variety of HBH flakes that i bought in bulk since i also had angelfish and apistos at the time(angel/discus, meat lovers, earthworm, spirulina) but will rip apart shrimp pellets too once they soften up. They love bloodworms (I used frozen for my german blue rams) just thawed out well in a bit of water and let get to room temp) - rams also appreciate caves to call their own.

No cleaner fish / algae eaters ? - I could see a couple bn plecos or a group of 6 cories being happy in your tank too and maybe an applesnail of the brig variety

Do you have plants ?

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 18:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
Hi MossMan

Good to hear from you! Glad to see that I can get these colourful fish. Are you sure though that my Redeyes won't attack them? I do have a nippy tank, so I really want them to feel safe. Considering that they're $10.00 each!!!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 18:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
Hello again

I haven't any experience with the redeye tetras or much with tetras in general so I can't say for sure how them and rams will react to each other. I think the tetras will leave them be if they're smart. I can say when I had my rams they held their own against apistos and shared the tank with angelfish so I don't anticipate an issue. Rams stick to the bottom and mid areas of the tank and tetras tend to be mid to topwater ? I think they would be fine. Again, some caves and hiding spots for territories

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 19:23Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
EditedEdited by Mitchee
Nope, no real plants, just fake. However, I do have real driftwood which has some nice little grottos in it, so that should provide some hiding places for them. I think I'll give them a shot. If I see that there's problems, I have 2 other 10G tanks with neons and guppies that I can transfer my rams in.!

Thanks loads!/:'

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2007 19:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
Glad to be of help Mitchee

So when are you getting the rams ?

Thinking of getting german blue rams again myself !

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2007 06:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
EditedEdited by Mitchee
Hi MossMan

I already got them and at WalMart of all places. I was able to "rescue" 3 of the darlings. I've placed them in my quarantine tank for now that has 2 little inverted clay pots and a cave type decoration. They were pretty pale when I brought them home but now they've coloured up quite nicely. They are such a a blast to watch I'm going to give them another week in this tank and instead of putting them in my main 42G tall, I've decided to place them in with my guppy tank. Reason being is that I also rescued 2 kribs and placed them in my main tank and when I saw how tenacious the RedEyed Tetras were in chasing them, that made my decision. THey woulnd't let up on the kribs but eventually things have died down now and everyone seems to be getting along. My only difficulty now is with the Kribs. I can't get food down to them. All the other inhabitants get a hold of the pellets and the Kribs won't come up to feed. All they're getting are the scraps that manage to fall to the bottom

Hope you get those Blue Rams! THey are absolutely gorgeous!!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 22-Nov-2007 20:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited by DaMossMan
It sounds like they're starting to settle in nicely

I had no idea RedEyed Tetras were that aggressive as to chase kribs wow. I'm sure they will be able to get enough food, when I had some they also stayed near the bottom.

I included a couple pics of the rams I used to have for you.

The male,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/DaFishMan/c02.jpg

His lady,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/DaFishMan/c05.jpg

Mr and Mrs Ramerezi going for a happy stroll
(with their neighbor Red sayin hello)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/DaFishMan/40K.jpg

I really miss these fish, such awesome colors.

Looking forward to seeing your angel rams

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2007 02:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
Hey MossMan!

Wow! Those Rams you had were absolutely stunning! Here are a couple of pics of my 3:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h177/Kookscat/CIMG0676.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h177/Kookscat/CIMG0675.jpg

When I brought them home this past Tuesday night, they were totally white. THey looked like albanios! Since then, their colour has returned. I did a massive water change this morning, just to be on the safe side. I want to give them every chance possible. I just love them to bits

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2007 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
Thanks for sharing the pics of your Angel Rams
(first time ever seeing them - very nice !)

Any idea male / female ? Imagine a pair of those ?

Now we MUST talk about the brightness of your gravel,
I think I burnt out a retina... * stumbles blindly around
I must say though, very clean tank from what can be seen.

Now we have to influence you to go PLANTED too, just a matter of time

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2007 03:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
female canada
No clue as to who's what! I'm afraid though that one of them is not doing too well right now. Just hangs around the filter intake tube and breathing quite fast. I suspected this might happen considering where I got them. Here's hoping for the best

You don't like my nice white gravel???? I like it bright!!!!! Not to worry. This is just for my QT tank. I have a much more subdued gravel in all my other tanks. They all have a natural riverbed look.

I tried going with a planted tank when I first started 4 years ago. Granted it looked quite nice, but it was way too much work! What with the fish eating the plants and some of the plants dying. Not to mention that I really didn't have the proper lighting (only 18 watts). I do have over 40 watts now, but I really don't think I'm up to undertaking a planted tank again. Fake isn't all bad

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2007 04:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
male canada ca-ontario
It could be it's just stressed, new environment and a large water change could do it. I hope it's not sick

The plants/gravel we can revisit but one thing I want to suggest quickly is to first turn your tank lights off as it may reduce stress for your fish. Record the temp of your water, and if you have a water test kit please check the nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, ph (and any others suggested in the Hospital thread and put a post up over there). If you don't have one, is there a fish store you can take a water sample to ? Some stores will be happy to test your water, sometimes free, sometimes for a small fee.

Melafix if you have it may also help reduce stress.
Crossing my fingers for ya.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2007 05:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies