Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngelfish tankmates
aquaticia
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
female usa
I've had this angelfish for about a year now in a 55 gal tank. Currently he's by himself. I used to keep him with other angelfish but they nearly killed him.
I have been looking into getting other fish to put in the tank but I don't know what to get. I really don't want to get more angelfish because I can't find any angelfish that are his size and I'm afraid they'll fight. I am also unsure if I should even be getting more fish. There is a chance he has marked every inch of the tank as his territory and won't like sharing it.
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 18:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Well you can go with nonterritorial fish like tetras and most other schooling fish or any bottom feeders. You also might be able to add other smaller cichlids like rams if you rearrange the tank so it looks like a different place to the angel. Angels will also usually get along with gouramis but if you have an established adult that might not work out. What type of fish would you like to add to the tank? Angelfish often don't get along too well with other angelfish unless it's a male and female pair but you can usually put them with a variety of other fish.
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 18:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Angels, while moody are not especially territorial with other non-cichlid species, myself and many thousands of others have kept them with a myriad of species. Angels are mostly moody with other angels and similar fish like discus. Fish wth radically different body types are typicaly ignored, you can keep them with literally hundreds of species of catfish, corys, plecs, small amazon and african river catfish,shoaling fish of reasonable size like rainbwfish, the less nippy barbs and chunky tetras too big to be eaten are fine with them.

In tanks with large leaved and tall plants like echinodorus , lots of bogwood etc, your options are vitually limitless as long as you choose species of appropriate size that are not territorial or nippy, and enjoy the same water conditions and relatively high temperatures.

Angelfish are often at their worst when not given vertical tank decoration and visual barriers. Break up the tank a bit with decor, and they are fine with most community fish to be honest.
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 18:40Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I keep my angels with a very large school of rummynoses. My second choice would be harlequin rasboras.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 23:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
There are many options of what to keep with your angel.
When you say hes by himself, I assume that means the tank is totally empty except for the angel?

I too wouldnt suggest adding more angels unless they were like size and a good group of 5 or more.

If the fish is all alone, no other tankmates at all, why not consider your empty areas. Angels are mid water fish, leaving your tank devoid of fish in the top and lower water areas. A group of bottom feeders like Cory Cats (keep in groups of 6 or more of the same species), or loaches (keep 3 or more of one kind), or a couple of plecos, or larger catfish like Synodontis Eupterus or perhaps something like a rainbow or red fin shark.

A good basic stocking for a 55g tank with 1 angel as centerpeice fish would be something like this:
8 Cory Cats (i like ambiacus and trilineatus a lot)
1 Queen Arabesque (7 inch) or smaller pleco
1 angelfish
12 Rummynose Tetra
6 Turqouise Rainbowfish

Another idea:
1 Angel
3-6 Yoyo/Queen/Angelicus/Zebra/Kuhli Loaches
2 Bristlenose Plecos m/f pair
6 Irian Red Rainbow
6 Turqouise blue rainbow

Or maybe more cichlids strike your fancy:
1 Angelfish
2-4 Keyhole cichlid
2-4 Bolivian or Blue Ram
1 Rainbow or Redtail black shark
8 Black Neon Tetra

or maybe you want a few bigger fish:
1 Angel
1 male Firemouth cichlid
1 Synodontis Eupterus
2 Festivum Cichlid
1 Green Phantom Pleco (8inches)

Just depends what you like, and what is available to you in your area.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2007 23:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aquaticia
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
female usa
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I haven't made a decision quite yet but I'm getting there.
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 17:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
With anything you add, start VERY slow.

My sister had an angel like that and it killed everything she tried to put in with her.

As you said with the territory, there is that strong chance that because he has been alone for so long, that he did claim it as his own.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 01:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
So long as there isn't too much worry about the tank going through a mini cycle I'd take a day to rearrange it and add at least most of the fish at the same time. If you add just 1 fish to the angel's current territory it will likely try to attack that one fish. It may or may not be serious enough to cause injury but it could harass the new fish to death. If you rearrange the tank then the territory will be mostly destroyed and if you add multiple fish at once even if the angels picks on them the agression will be spread out saving the new fish from too much stress. The angel should then give it up after a few days.
Post InfoPosted 29-May-2007 18:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies