L# Bad ram?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBad ram?
medschool
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
female
Hey, I think I know the answer to this already, but I thought I'd try asking here to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Okay, so my extremely well-cycled 55g super planted tank (as in, has been going with a trio of angelfish for >3 years with lovely chemistry) got an overhaul a few months ago. I'd pretty much ignored the tank for a while, and my angels were the only ones left. So, I replaced (over the space of a couple of months) with a small gaggle of platies and a pair of golden rams. At about the same time, the platies showed themselves to be largely male (boo!) and one ram killed the other one (chased around the tank, biting it constantly, 24/7 till it died). Tested water again, thinking it could be an attack on a sick fish. Pristine water, nitrates <5, everything else lovely. Decided that the ram would be a solitary ram, and went to my (very nice) LFS for whatever the healthiest-looking female platies were - found a couple of speckled ones and a couple of the bright orange ones. Within 12 hours, the ram had run down the two orange ones (NOT the others) and nearly killed one. Back to the LFS, got one of those handy-dandy tank separator thingies, to test my theory that all fish death was due to this ram. Everyone's happy now, looking lovely, going swimmingly. So, it appears this ram does not like anyone who is orange. So, do I have to attempt to return this guy, just because he wants to be the only orange one in the tank? (Can't start a new tank; I'm in med school, and the only reason I have time to take care of the tank I've got is because it's so stinking low-maintenance.)
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2010 22:55Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Since you now have the tank separator I'd say use it.

Give the ram his own space if you still want a school of platies.

If you're really not liking the ram you could take him to the LFS and see if they'll do a trade for other fish. Most shops will take healthy fish, but for only 1/3rd their sale value. If you do think you'd start up another tank when you have time it might be worth it to keep him but have him separated from the rest.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-May-2010 00:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 18-May-2010 02:31
Some time back I bought 3 so called peaceful Bolivian Rams.
The male is far from it he has killed at least 4 fully grown Opaline Gourami, and I have seen him attacking a fully grown large Hoplo Cat fish.

If I could catch it he would be going to the LFS as a gift as far as I am concerned.

I believe most of the Rams become very territorial and will have a go at any thing. I am also sure he is picking off my bristlenose fry as well.

You have a choice either keep that separator in restricting the Rams movements, or removing the rams so that the other fish can have more room to move around.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-May-2010 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies