Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding......
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
Im thinking about setting up a 20 gallon tank that im gona put a bunch of rocks and drift wood in maybe a few hardy plants dont really know but im gona try to breed buffalo head cichlids cuz im gona need to get a 20 long for a river set up im thinking about doing but alredy bought this tank so i got to use it some how..... From what i read they are life partners and very hard to pair up so im thinking about geting like 4 and see if any pair up. im thinking about doing a rock stacking type thing and thick layer of gravel cuz they dig out a cave uder the rocks that they pick to breed under.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2009 00:57Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
if you do the rock stacking method I would make sure that the rocks aren't going to shift and break the glass. silicone or epoxy them in place before you add them (as in the rocks) or before you add the water in. make sure the stuff cures all the way too. I'd suggest slate and granite rocks with a black substrate to make their colors pop!

Good Luck!
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2009 02:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Buffalo heads are easy to breed once they pair off. Try using shells as caves. IME shells have worked wonders. Once you get a pair to spawn, keep them in the same tank, as they take awhile to spawn again if you move them around.

IME, females are more of a life partner than the males. I have yet to have a female spawn with a new male once her original male dies. But, I have had several males pick up new females to spawn with, once the original female died.

They are great parents, and once they start spawning, they will continually spawn on a regular basis. To intice new spawns, just remove the new fry at slightly smaller than one cm. This will remove the maternal care from the female and get her ready to spawn again.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 26-Apr-2009 16:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea im going for the stacked rocks look tho with a simi strong current and some hardy plants and drfitwood....... u think i could grow out a type of bagaruis cat in the tank or u think he will just bit one of the buffalos in half? cuz i might have to wait on the breeding project will it gets around 5 inches long right now its around 2.....

I cant wait to start this hope the tank comes out how i want it.... Thanks for all the info guys it will help me a lot....
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2009 02:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies