L# Calming A Midas!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCalming A Midas!
fishykev
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
hi i have a loan 8" midas in a 250L tank, im wondering if its possible to calm him down! hes super aggressive, and i know theyre meant to be, but i would like to put some sort of plants in there to brighten up the tank, and help the filter.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can calm him down, or any suggestions of hardy plants? (but not fake)

cheers, kev
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 22:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
You might be able to try plants like anubias, java fern, or maybe a sword. The anubias and java fern you will need to tie down to a rock or chunk of driftwood.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 15:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
I have been told that to calm a fish down you turn the temp down to the lower end of what the fish can handle, 73-75F. I have not done this myself but you can try it.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 22:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
u really cant calm down a midas they are really aggressive fish if u must have some fish in with them id try rainbow fish or giant danios cuz they are to quick to be caught. otherwise i would try if i was u but i might find one after killing a lot of fish and wasteing a lot of money.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 09:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Wouldnt be much point, probably wont have a marked effect and would just lower the fish's metabolism making it long term more susceptible to disease, and taking a fish off peak condition to attempt to "tame it" isnt really appropriate.

If its not hurting other fish or itself there isnt even a great deal of point in calming it. Its an aggressive territorial species, its what they do. I think trying to govern its aggression directly is a touch of unrealistic expectation personally.

Any particular reason you want to govern its behaviour to be less aggressive? If your not liking its personality purely out of irritation, perhaps consider a different calmer species. Not much point in choosing an aggressive cichlid and then expecting it not to be aggressive. Its not a rabid goldfish, its an aggressive species.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 09:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
AHH a Midas, they have a mind of there own, dont they?
You have any pics of him, would love to see some.
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2008 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
WiseIves
----------
Enthusiast
MbunaMbunaMbuna
Kudos: 180
Votes: 85
male usa
Pretty much not gonna calm him down no matter what. You can try Anubias tied onto driftwood like riri said, if its just a matter of decorations. He will likely leave floating plants alone as well. Maybe a bigger tank would allow you to decorate some as he just wants as much space as possible. RD's can sometimes calm down a little in bigger quarters. At 8" already though he should not have any tank mates unless you're talking about a significantly large tank with other very aggressive large cichlids.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates-
I happen to have become a philosopher
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2008 15:08Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies