AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Can someone please help me sex my Salvini's?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCan someone please help me sex my Salvini's?
4fish
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 1
male usa us-nebraska
Looking for anyone's help with sexing my Salvini Cichlids. They are supposed to be a male and a female but I am having my doubts. I keep reading that if they have a black marking on thier dorsal fin they are female... both have a black spot but the less colorful one has a very small spot and the bright one has a very large spot. Both are still juveniles and are only about 2.5 inches long. Here is a link to pictures of both of them:

http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz32/4fish/?albumview=grid&track=share_email_album_view_click

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

4fish

75gal Malawi-Electric Yellows, Demasonis, Elongatus Mpangas, Red Top Hongis, Auratus, Red Zebras, Clown Loaches

180gal C/A-1 Green Terror, 1 Red Devil, 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 EB Jack Dempsey, 2 Salvini's, 5 Firemouths, 1 Striped Raphael, Common Pleco
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2009 21:15Profile PM Edit Report 
4fish
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 1
male usa us-nebraska
I have added new pictures to the Photobucket link above to assist in helping me sex my Salvini's. These are as of today, the old ones were within 48 hours of adding the fish to the tank. The color has really come out in the one I believe to be the male. The one I presume to be female still has striking color but its black spots are more apparent. Both appear to have the black spot on thier dorsal fins (the male? has a small one, the female? has a large one) surrounded by blue and both appear to have black on thier gill plates. The one I think is male has more of a black smudge, the other has a very distinct spot on both sides. As mentioned above, any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

75gal Malawi-Electric Yellows, Demasonis, Elongatus Mpangas, Red Top Hongis, Auratus, Red Zebras, Clown Loaches

180gal C/A-1 Green Terror, 1 Red Devil, 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 EB Jack Dempsey, 2 Salvini's, 5 Firemouths, 1 Striped Raphael, Common Pleco
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2009 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies