Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeChanging My 125
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
getting away from the big cichlids and need new ideas.

I was thinking:

10 angels
15-20 corry's
10 otto's

and not sure what elese. was thinking discus instead of angels but im not sure I want the cost or the hassel. any idea's would be helpful.

chris
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 09:29Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Discus do require higher temps than most other tropical fish, which is why they can't be kept with most other species. I don't have any experience with Discus but it would make a stunning aquarium.

That said, 10 Angels, 20 Corys, and 10 Otos still leaves some room in a 125, although I'm not sure about what happens when the Angels start breeding. Also I'm having trouble imagining 10 adult Angels in any single tank, lol. Doesn't seem to be something people usually do.

The surface of the tank can be stocked with hatchetfish, which would be nice. A large school of tetras is possible as well to contrast the Angels. I like Rosy Tetras, but many would be suitable. Neons and Cardinals are dubious, but people say if you get the tetras and angels at the same time, the angels grow up learning not to feed on the tetras. Dwarf cichlids would make a nice addition as well.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Angelfish are schooling cichlids so this setup would suit them well i believe.
Consider Cardinal tetras, also..
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 21:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jase101
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 273
Votes: 1
male australia
while young, ten angels will look amazing. once you have a dominant pair, they will start breeding behaviour and depending on where they lay their eggs, will take up to three feet of room either side of the spawn. so if they lay at one end, they'll guard half the tank - but if they lay in the middle, they'll pretty much guard the whole tank, and they can be uber-aggressive. if you can then swap/sell your remaining angels, you'll have a great pair to be the centrepiece fish, and you can fill in the blanks with other south americans - a big school of any single tetra school looks amazing, and the cories and ottos will look great in big numbers. can i suggest sterbai corys - they are gorgeous and have pretty interesting behaviour.

i've just reduced a school of 7 angels down to a breeding pair in my 6footer - pics are here:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/jase101/

there's the breeding angels, a pair of apistos, pair of rams, 40 cardinals and 40 rummynoses in there, plus 5 royal whiptails

there's also some discus pictures - i kept them for about 18 months, loved them, but they are more work than a standard collection of fish, and definitely more expensive.

justin
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2008 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
In all honesty, I am pretty much open to anything. I think I would like a pair of rams, 10-12 corry's and a good size of a schooling fish. What I really need is my center piece fish or fishes. Mabey a few gourmi instead of angels, any other ideas.

chris
Post InfoPosted 13-Feb-2008 19:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
toxic69
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
dont add small tetras like cardinals with angels that is there prefered food in the wild lol

a 125 is a good size for mbuna most of them dont get very big and they are nice an colorfull
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
plus 5 royal whiptails

Someone has a liking for the rarer malaysian lot, no??
Have you seen the green ones?
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 20:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies