L# Changing tanks, assorted...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeChanging tanks, assorted...
redheadrachel
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 23-Jan-2010 01:40
Hi everyone I used to be on here years ago, but haven't been in quite a while.
Well, I have a 3 1/2 year old Jack Dempsey. He's gooorgeous and amazing. When I first got him, I was obsessed. I did everything perfectly and he thrived. But he grew and grew, and my affections waned (only slightly). But now, let's just say, I don't do everything perfectly. So here's the deal.
He lives in a 20 gallon tank. He's about a foot long, give or take. I have a huge air bubbler and a filter that's for like 60 gallons with a bio wheel. I feed him the color enhancing Cichlid Gold.
Well here's the deal. My funds are limited. I know, I know... I have a fish and he's my responsibility. But it is true that my funds are limited. I have: a 40 gallon long tank in my barn that my older brother found while dumpster diving. Obviously, no hood or light or anything, just the tank. I would like to put my Dempsey in this... would it make him happier, do you think? I have a friend who builds stuff like custom stands, so I might try and get one from him as cheap as I can go... but I'm considering a double stand so I can repurpose the 20 gal and eventually get shelldwellers (after my current fish's tank is all tricked out and he's happy and thriving and my wallet has recovered...)
So... what do I need to do? I want my fish to be super happy and healthy, so he can live for years to come, comfortably and happily. So, advice?! Should I keep him in his current tank, or move him to the one with more swimmin room? If I need to move him, how do I ensure a successful transition? Thanks
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 01:37Profile PM Edit Report 
skystrife

-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 37
male usa us-illinois
EditedEdited 23-Jan-2010 01:58
I'd definitely move him--he's rather large for his current home IMO.

However, don't rush this process. Give the 40 gallon tank plenty of time to set up and cycle properly before introducing him to his new home. (Also, make sure the newfound tank doesn't leak!) Adding a bit of aquarium gravel from the 20 gallon to the 40 gallon will help speed the cycling process along. I would recommend cycling fishlessly if possible.

With the addition of the gravel, time given to cycle, and possibly switching over the filter from the 20 gallon to the 40 gallon at the same time as you move him, the water quality should be just fine. In fact, if you can get the two temperatures equal between the tanks and the pH is the same, you could probably safely transfer him by net (assuming they make nets that big--I've only kept small fish) without having to worry about floating him and getting him acclimated to the new tank (though if you're like me and very nervous about moving fish, this may still be a good idea).

You could also probably speed the cycling process along by using some of the water drained from the 20 gallon from a water change, but using some of the gravel will probably be the most effective method of jump-starting the process.

Basically the most important thing is to make sure that the NH3, NO2, and NO3 concentrations don't spike when you add him to the 40 gallon. If you cycle properly beforehand you should have no trouble at all.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 01:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
redheadrachel

Before you start pulling tanks around I strongly suggest you fill the old 40gall tank to make sure it does not leak.

Also being a older tank plus being empty the silicone will be dry and it could easily leak. Even if you touched up the joints this would only be a temporary fix it

Personally I would think about getting a bigger new tank from the start and have no worries for many years.

Some thing to think about.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2010 07:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies