Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeConvict matchmaking
MeDainBramaged
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 1
male usa
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with convict chiclid coupling. I've got a 30 gallon w/ a Firemouth & a male Convict. The Firemouth rules the roost & chases off the Convict into a group of swords. I introduced the female Convict & the male checked her out for a few seconds & now he chases her off. They're all juvi's, but I've read that the Convicts are the horny teenagers of aquatics. Are they gonna pair up? Should I have gotten an already paired-up couple & introduced them at the same time? HELP By the way, the male & female are really showing their colors & strutting their stuff around each other.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2006 05:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
make sure the male is bigger than the female convict but not too big, and you can't have a bigger female because she would just chase the male around because he's not good enough to breed beaause he is younger and smaller. i think thats how it works from my experience.
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2006 06:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
If you do a large water change (50%) that might help mix things up enough for them to get used to each other.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2006 13:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Take all the fish out and re-arange the rocks and put the fish back in. If you got a male and female they will breed without a doubt, but the only thing is then the firemouth is in big trouble.
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2006 22:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MeDainBramaged
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 1
male usa
Thanks everyone. I took the Firemouth outta the picture. He was relentless. Afterward, the male hung out at one end & the female at the other. Later that day, I fed them some brine shrimp & they started swimming together & he allowed her to hang out at his cave A lot like people, huh? The way to the heart is thru the stomach.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2006 00:31Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i was lucky enough to get 4 bonded pairs, but in your situation, i do have a group of smaller convicts (1.7-2.3 inches) that i have added around 20 fishes, and i alow them to pair up naturally.

for best results: get a group and allow them to pair up and move them or others.
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2006 04:38Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies