Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeConvicts & planted tanks
MeDainBramaged
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 1
male usa
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience w/ how convicts treat plants in a tank. Most of the articles I read say that they're notorious for eating and pulling/tearing up plants. I have a black Convict in a planted 30 gallon w/ a Firemouth & some tiger barbs. He seems to appreciate having a cluster of swords in the tank & has pretty much staked it as his "turf". He's still a juvi & would love to pair him up, but I want a planted tank that I don't have to replant every morning.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 03:30Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I have a pair of Cons in a 55 with one large Sword and they tend to leave it alone. The root system for that plant takes up about half the tank so the fish don't really mess with it.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 04:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cyclone8181
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
male usa
off topic... how is that 30 gallon tank setup working out for you? i was thinking of doing the same thing with a 40 gallon i have.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 05:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
MeDainBramaged
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Cool. I have some Radican Swords in there too. They're growing some leaves up to the surface & he likes hanging around those sometimes.

Right now, it's working out good. I'm well read on chiclids, but inexperienced. I think having the tiger barbs in there with the chiclids is a good combo. We'll see how things are if/when I get a female for the Convict. I'd have to take out the Firemouth, but he'll have a good home. I even tried setting up a SA biotype for them. Check it out... http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendEmail.php/imID3388
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 06:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
i think it should be fine. i had a convict on a heavily planted tank but she simply ignored it, so i guess convicts should be find with most plants i guess
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 06:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Hey I just looked at your tank. It looks pretty nice. The only thing I would change is the big drift wood in the middle. I would move it back a little and to the left or right. Just off center would look much nicer.

Are you using any ferts on this tank? I have found that I can keep swords pretty well in lower light with Flourish tabs and Flourish Excel. (oh we are in the cichlid section...)

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2006 14:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
MeDainBramaged
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Cool rocker. I'm gonna put a female in & see how it goes. From what I've read, they're easy to pair up & breed.

Thanks Wings. I was thinking of doing some shifting around. It looks a bit too symmetrical. Whatever I do, I'd like to get some "greenery" behind the wood, to make it stand out. It's definetly a low-tech planted tank. Single tube (gonna get a twin tube strip soon), no CO2, & using the same fertilizers you're using. My Java Fern has been growing pretty good, too./:'
Post InfoPosted 13-May-2006 01:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
male usa
Keep us up dated with pictures or start a log.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2006 03:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
I would suggest a cave for them to spawn in, otherwise, the male (not females) will dig a spawning home for them. It may be under a rock, or under a piece of driftwood, but it could be under a nice big plant. Many times they will just dig out a corner till they can hit something solid on the bottom to lay the eggs. If you don't want a cave, try a flat rock laid flat and slightly burried around the edges.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2006 16:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MeDainBramaged
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Yeah, I was thinking of that during my dry run before adding water. I was gonna do the flowerpot trick, but I wanted to keep with the natural look. So, I got some smooth "Creek slate" from a local stone company (small amount=$FREE$), & built a cave at each tank end.
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2006 02:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies