SubscribeDiscus and Livebearers
seventh_son_of_ed
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 77
Votes: 9
male portugal
Hi there

One question to be asqued can I keep Discus with Guppys Swordtais, mollys and Plattys?

I have a 280 Liters bowfront tank and is well planted but not heavilly planted.

Ph is 7.2 and temp 28ÂșC water quality is good coz none of my fish looks stressed or ill.

I still haven't bought the discus but I'd really loved to.

thanks in advance
Miguel

Face up make your stand and realize your living in the golden Years
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 18:11Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
your tank size seems ok for a few discus but are you ready for them. I personally think that if you keep up with your water changes and feed them well you should be ok but some people think discus should be kept alone so just be careful.

chris
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2006 08:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
seventh_son_of_ed
-----
Hobbyist
male portugal
I usually feed the 4 kinds of food from nutrafin. also I ocasionally give them bloodworms and artemia.
oh and I also have a pair of german blue ram there too

Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2006 13:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I agree the Discus should be kept by them selves or with very peaceful fish certainly not busy live bearers. If you particually want discus remove all those live bearers and go for a discus tank. with some very peaceful non busy fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2006 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
No!

Discus will do best at temperatures at 29C to 30C. The livebearers that you mentioned in your post will do best at temperatures from 22C to 24.5C. The higher temperatures for livebearers will lead to a significantly shortened life span and the livebearers may have the problem of neotropical bloat.

Neotropical bloat is an indication that internal organs are breaking down due to an environmental factor. In this case, the factor would be water temperature. The fish will stop eating, become listless and then begin to swell from fluid retention.

Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2006 18:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
male usa us-maryland
i think you get 5 discus, 2 german blue rams, 10 corry's, and 10-15 rummy nose tetras. Now get some tall, thick peices of driftwood smother them in moss and java fern and get some nice sword plants for the back ground and you will have the perfect peacful tank and i would be jelous.

chris
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2006 05:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
seventh_son_of_ed
-----
Hobbyist
male portugal
Well I have the moss and the swords still working on the fern but is in my want list

As to the fish I have the 2 blue rams and 3 corys and the rummynose is in my want list also a couple of more corys

The problem now is I really like those livebearers and some of them have been born in my place so their kind of atach in a sentimental way.

Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 11:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
male usa us-maryland
well then keep the live bearers and and get the discus any way. if you see the discus getting stressed because of them then take them back, though i really dont see them causing that much of a problem anyway.

chris
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 19:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I have to agree with all the things stated above. I think livebearers wouldn't go well in your tank.Another thing to consider is what if they multiply? You would definitly risk overcrowding. ^_^* I think you should choose which you like better, either the livebearers or the discus and go from there.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2006 01:48Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies