---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
Well, I finally did it.

After years of swearing I'd never own a cichlid, I broke down at the LFS and got 2 juvenile Keyholes (Cleithracara maronii) to add to my heavily planted 38 gallon community. Unfortunately, being so small, I couldn't sex them. I'm not sure how mature Keyhole males get along, so I hope I didn't get 2 males.

This brings the stock to:
12 white clouds
8 C. palateus
4ish ottos (little buggers are hard to count!)
1 wood shrimp
12+ ghost shrimp
2 Keyholes

One they settle in a bit, I'll grab some pictures. I have to admit, I was surprised at how much these fish could change their coloring. They went from the normal brownish coloration with the spot right before being netted at the LFS to a dark brown/black coloration right after being netted. They've been in the tank about 4 hours now and they've regained their normal coloration.

God, these little guys are adorable.

Joe Potato

Edit: Pics as promised. I took about 70 shots, and these 7 were the decent ones. There's also a full tank shot in the album. Comments are appreciated. I realize that most of the plants are on the left side of the tank, and I'm going to replant some of the Subulata to the right side.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2007 22:02Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Aha congratulations! Of course , now it begins muhahaahahhaaa. Cichliditis!

Well at least you did the sensible thing and chose a sensible species,not huge or psychopathic, and consequently wont be too disappointed.

Cichlids do have that level of intelligence that put others in the shade, but as you know , that intelligence does come with a few complications.

(Puts of darth vader voice) Now you will learn the need for good water quality, now you will feel the desire to provide diet variety, now you will know the need for territory and visual barriers. I can feel your fear, it is the fear of the breeding pair of cichlids.

We shall look forward to completing your training.

Have fun!
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2007 01:23Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Welcome to the addictive world of cichlids

The keyholes look good and I like the full tank shot, your plants look very healthy. I could be wrong but the second shot looks like it might be a female...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2007 14:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
usa
Man - I love keyholes...but I've never been lucky enough to find any locally when I had tank space.

Nice looking keyholes, and I agree your tank is beautiful.

Eric
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
A keyhole was my first cichlid as well. I love my little guy and I plan on adding another when I find one. He can be a little shy if I make sudden movements near the tank. Mine seems to change colors at night when he's sleeping or if I'm in the tank rooting around a lot and doing a gravel vac.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2007 20:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies