L# Green Terror on death bed?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGreen Terror on death bed?
Andypants
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 1
male
So I recently purchased a 2" Green terror from my local fish store and he assured me he would do fine with the Africans I had in my tank (I bought them from the same guy two weeks back). Well that did work out... I woke up the next day to a pretty beat up fish. I took him out and put him in a smaller tank for the time being...my question is how beat up can a fish get and still survive? I hope he lives but they got quite a bit of him. Anything helps thanks guys.
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2009 21:34Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
Dont trust the pet shop guys as you have learned...

I would take the GT back where you got him, as they advised you wrong.

If you keep him, get some melafix/ pima fix and dose accordingly to directions on bottle. this will help prevent infections...

also if you keep him, he'll get big and need his own big tank.

GT's are south american, and though they are aggressive, their aggression doesnt compare to africans, as you found out.
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2009 23:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ive seen fish get really beat up and live but i wouldnt put a 2 inch green terror with and same size african beacuse a 2 inch green terror is still juvi id grow the green terror out till it hits about 6"-8" then let it get its revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol not really just get another 55 Gallon Tank for the GT and u should be fine for life for that fish......
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2009 22:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited 15-Dec-2009 12:53
melafix as stated above in a QT tank till well enough to be returned. if he doesnt make it and i hope he does still return him and let the guy know its better to say "i dont know" then bad info. not sure what africans you have but in no case are the 2 ok together. south americans are soft water and africans are hard water. the diets dont compare and the territories conflict. aggression levels are completely lopsided.

its to bad fish have to get beat up due to uneducated shop keepers. they have shelves of books on the subject you would think they would read one or two of them before giving out advise.
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2009 12:51Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Agreed with Sin,

Never mix cichlids from different locales (SA with African, or Central American (CA) with African.

Sorry to hear you got the wrong advice. That cichlid fact should be the first thing employees are taught in the fishstore. That and goldfish do not go in 1g tanks, and bettas should not live in cups. Luckily you joined FP

I'd return it to the fish store for full refund since they failed to give you the most basic info, before that smaller tank starts cycling.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2009 17:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies