Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHas anyone seen this before?
Oscar_Jewel
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 28
Votes: 0
female canada
In my 180 gallon tank I have 2male and 1 female Meljohanni's, when I bought her she was already holding fry, her and the 2nd male are 2.5 - 3", the other male is about full grown. I had the smaller male in a 30 gallon before and I could have sworn that he was holding, nothing came of it (the female was not in with him). 2 weeks ago I noticed it again, so I scooped him up and put him in a 10 gallon alone. 2 days later he released his fry !!!!! They are not from the female of his species..... her batch were all yellow, these have blackish markings and not very bright yellow. How did he get fertile eggs from a female, and I think I know what fish he bred with, (it was in the 30 gallon also), I don't know the name but it is dark purple/blue, with black stripes, and the tail is yellow with a black border. Aside from the inter breeding issues, I am curious to see what they turn out like.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 18:16Profile PM Edit Report 
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 99
Votes: 36
male australia
Could you have thought he was subdominant male or uncoloured and he was actually female???
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2007 11:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
Just to clarify, male johanni's will never hold eggs, so your fish is surely a female.

Do you have pictures of the fish? Is it possible you mixed up two closely related species? While in the 30 gallon, what other fish was it with?
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 22:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies