Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI've got a breeding pair!
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I've mentioned lately that my Angels were fighting. Well, now I know why. My Golden (I now know is female) and one of the 3 all Black (He's definitely the Alpha Male) have decided to do the ... . They have effectively shooed the other 3 Angels to the other half of the tank and frantically go after any of the other barbs, tetras, or loaches that come to close to their little home in the corner of the tank. They've taken to laying eggs on the right arm and ear of my "Air Dragon".

Now I have to buy a divider for the tank to keep the peace. And get a nursery tank, for if or when the eggs hatch.

How long does it take for Angel eggs to give fry? What would be best to feed the fry? I don't intend on keeping them, but maybe sale them to the LFS, when the fry are large enough. I know that the parents will eat the eggs, if they feel the eggs are in too much danger. Will they eat the fry for the same reason? Do I need to separate the parents now or wait until they hatch? Or how long after hatching should I separate them?

Ya know, I didn't want any of my fish breeding. But, now that I do.... I'm pretty excited. The ironic part of this is; they decided to do it on the Easter weekend when the LFS won't be open for many hours and I have to work.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2009 05:14Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Wasn't fast enough with getting the divider. Goldie ate most of her eggs and I think a loach finished them off. I put the divider in anyway. I purchased a net breeder basket for "just in case" later. I'm sure they will try again soon. They're still trying to protect their spot.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2009 20:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
TBF, she might just spawn and eat her eggs continuesly if she can still SEE the other fish. try and block the line of site, or use a non-seethrough divider.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2009 20:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan

Thanks for the heads up. The one that I purchased is see through. I've checked a few other stores and their's are clear as well. My husband says to just take it out, but I think I'll give the other fish a break. I'll leave it in for a few and see how it goes. I had a problem installing the bloody thing though. I can't quite get it flush on one side. I've caught a few neons shimmying through. And I've got one stubborn loach that goes back and forth. I'll try to fiddle with it again later today.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2009 18:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
My hubby beat me to the tank and took the divider out. Since Goldie ate the eggs, he saw no reason to have it in the tank. I'm looking into finding a gently used 30 gallon for the other 3 angels. I would ask my cousin but he's gravely ill. I've got to find one quick. My husband wants to take the other 3 back to the LFS and the kids are having a fit. They don't want their favorite to go back. I tell ya, I'm catching it from all sides on this one.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2009 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Guess what? Woke up this morning, turned on the tank light... I've got a spread of eggs again! This time they laid them on the back glass. I put the divider back in. It's been 4 hours and I haven't seen Goldie (mommy) eat but 2 eggs. Bulldozer (daddy) is hoovering over the eggs mostly. So now I need the answers to my original questions answered. Also I've counted maybe 17 cream colored eggs the rest are sorta clear. I tried to take pics, but my daughter's camera needs to charge.

P.S. I have a fish net breeder box for when the eggs give fry.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 17:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
this is what happend in a friends tank but he didnt put a divider in and about 10 fry sruvived when i looked at the angels cuz he only had 2 they looked like both males but the smaller 1 now i think its a lot smaller and much less aggressive than the male he had for the same ammount of time...... it depends sometimes babys eat particals out of the water which they would do in the wild or u could feed the bbs(baby brine shimp) freshly hatched. i personaly have never bred angels but if they are like any other cichlids sometimes when they are just starting out to breed it takes them a while to get it right as in non fertil eggs or eating the eggs.....if u have a sheet of black or dark blue plastic should work just fine cuz ur not working with large male midas cichld or anything in that nature....... just make sure the plastic is aquarium safe.......
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 20:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I just checked "The Angelfish Forum II" website. I now know the cream colored eggs are "bad". The good eggs will give fry in about 36-48 hours. And yes RiRi1, newly hatched baby brine shrimp is the preferred food. I don't have to feed the fry for the first week. They will get nourishment from the yoke sacs.

What baffles me is... After gleaning this info, it's stated Angels prefer to breed at 80-82F. My tank is at about 75-76F. I just don't get it.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 21:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
if they feel comfetable they will breed at any temp u just set up a sweet tank for them and they liked it enough to breed...... u can tell ur fish like the tank when they breed.....
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 22:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
Oh no, I haven't learned fast enough. Goldie is greedy. She got hungry and ate her eggs by the following night before they could hatch. (Even though we feed everyone on the regular schedule.) So now I will wait for the next spawning... I think I will try to raise the next batch of eggs artificially.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. RIGHT?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Came home today, after picking the kids up from school and what do you know? My Angels decided to spawn AGAIN! This time on the glass themometer. I waited until they were done. I had a plastic jug I had been saving for this event. I dipped the jug in the water and filled it 2/3 of the way. Took the lid and ran a airline through it. Popped the themometer into it and screwed the top back on. So now the jug is floating in the tank with the themometer coated with eggs floating in it. (The eggs are in the water) I also read that I should add peroxide or meth blue into the container until the fry hatch. I added a little peroxide to the water in the jug yesterday. (most cost effective) I will add more this afternoon. So far I only see a few "bad" eggs. I can also see the jug has great water circulation and it's being heated by the aquarium water. (again, cost effective) Crossing my fingers that this works. If I get viable wigglers, I will put them in the breeders net and float it in the tank. I have a couple of people already asking about the babies.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 17:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
sweet they are breeding like my old cons do........ looks like u got a tank they really like and thats good shows ur a good fish keeper........
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 21:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies