L# Cichlid Central
  L# Jack Dempsey and an Oscar
SubscribeJack Dempsey and an Oscar
missy4692
-----
Small Fry
Votes: 0
female
I am going to put a 1 1/2 long Jack Dempsey with a 2 inch Oscar in a 55 gallon tank. Niether of these fish have been in the tank yet. I have called 3 different stores and been told 3 different things about puting these fish together. One place told me that no matter what size the dempsey was he would kill the oscar. Another told me the oscar would kill the other. The first store told me that since they are going into the tank at the same time they would be fine together for years. Help please!
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:03Profile PM Edit Report 
hueylong
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
male usa
I had a Jack Demspey and Oscar together for years in a 55 gallon and never had a problem. They were both about the same size as yours when I got them (at the same time) and they both claimed a section of the tank for themselves and never seriously challenged one another. I would say it is worth the risk.
smnst
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 92
I would agree with the pet store that said they would be ok together because they are both young and will grow up together. I have had experience putting jack dempseys together with black belts, which are also supposed to be very aggressive, both when they were young, and never had a problem. I say go for it.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:03Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
With cichlids its a touch and go kind of thing. Each fish can be soo differnt in perosnality you never know what will happen without trying it. I recomend having two females though. You will have much better success that way then trying to house males together. And if the fish you have dont get along try relacing one of them and that might help. Lots of rock work and places to hide at first, incase there is a dispute. As they get bigger i would have less and less decorations due to there wanting to re-arange the tank.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:03Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
BILLFISH
----------
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
male usa
I have always had good luck with both of these fish, I agree with the fish store that says they'll be alright.
Starting them out together when they are that size greatly increases a good out come,but just keep an eye on them at first, you may have to swap one for another due to personality.

I currently have a male JD in with a female convict, they have been together for 5 months now with no problems.I also have serpae tetras and bosemani rainbows in the tank with them as target fish. I find it a good combination and a pleasantly active tank.

billfish
bostonjon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
male
Have a 10 inch oscar,8 inch dempsey and 6 inch Sev in 90 gallon...get along fine...oscar and Dempsey together for 2 1/2 years.........
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
Jack dempseys and oscars can get along, but a 55 gallon will not be big enough to hold them for life. you'll be ok for a year or so, but then you'll need to upgrade to a larger tank if you plan to keep both of these fish together for life.

Jason
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:03Profile Homepage MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
hueylong
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
male usa
I would agree with eventually splitting them up. Eventually the Oscar just got too big and I moved him to a larger tank.
Clown_Loach_Kid
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 1043
Votes: 34
male uk
i thinka 90g tnak minumun fiorboth fish to live together once fully grown

6x2x2 - Firemouth and Oscar Tank
30+ royal pythons.

Back in the game after 4 years out ..
Jimmy22
-----
Fish Addict
male australia
The 55 would be fine for the JD and i am a firm believer that a single oscar can be kept in a 55 but not both. JDs aggressivly wise are over rated unless you have a wild specimen. My JD is first generation wild and goes around locking jaws with every fish in my tank he even has a go at my synspilum that is at least 2x his size. Wild specimen are more aggressive than commercial ones because in the wild they are loners kind of like male lions allways fighting and the older and more fights they have the more scar tissue they develope on there top and bottom lips making them a force to be recond with. I think a full grown jd would kill a full grow oscar but if you grow them up together they should be fine.
misstyese82
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
female
i would have to agree with the pet store i have a 275gl fish tank that my husband bought me and i have 9 jacks 3 oscars 3 pacu and 4 red devils and they are all fine together the only thing they will fight about it feeders other than that they are good together
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:03Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Blackshark55
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 29
male usa
I have had these two fish in the same tank and they did fine together. Every once and awhile the JD would nip at the oscar but nothing serious.
bostonjon
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
male
i have had these fish together 4 years now..oscar 11 inches,JD is about 8 inches...get along fine.. added 7 inch Gold Sev a year ago and still no problems...90 gallon
Darthannihl8or
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 140
Votes: 20
male australia
Bostonjon, you actually already have that in this post, but a question I have is aren't they a bit small for 2 and a half year olds?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 12:03Profile ICQ PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies