SubscribeJack Dempsey's laying eggs
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
hi all..

ok.. i've noticed that my jd's have layed more eggs.. I did think that I had the female and male figured out.. but i was sitting next to the aquarium and looking at them.. and the one that i thought was the female has something sticking out...and kept rubbing over the eggs... so i'm wondering.. is what i thought was the female really the male fertilizing the eggs? or was she laying more?

As i asked in a previous post..the jd that i assume is the male was doing a mating dance... is the male the only one who does this? or does the female do it also??

anyone with any insight and/or answers..could you please help me??

thanx..
bratty_girl29
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 01:42Profile PM Edit Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
more eggs lol you really should be asking yourself what are you gona do with all these fish
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 05:29Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
lol..

ahh i'm not worried about it .. i mean of the first 200+..there are MAYBE 20 left...and besides if they grow to about an inch an LFS will take them for store credit

but it's sexing the fish lol.. i'm still pretty sure which is which..just i've never seen this behavior before...

also.... i saw them lip lock yesterday...that was a fascinating site lol..
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 05:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
wait till they are full grown and due it when you feed. you need a towel after a surface scurmish. lol
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 16:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
haha.. don't scare me now
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 16:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
when I went back downstairs earlier today I noticed that the female has an almost white scar under and abover her mouth...and the male has a bit of this also..

is this because of their lip locking? is there something wrong??

any advice would be appreciated..

bratty_girl29
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 19:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
hard to tell without seeing a pic but i would say this is more then likely from the lip locking. keep the water clean and keep an eye on the area. look for any white cotton like growth. you might want to add some mela-fix treatment. this is perfectly safe for your tank it will not harm your biological filtration and is a natural extract. it aids in healing like torn fins and other minor cuts an scrapes. its not required of course and if your water is clean and you dont wanna spend the money i dont see any obvious reason to use it, but im a guy so the whole ego thing prolly plays a roll. suck it up and deal with it lol. get a cut short of losing a limb you ignore it lol.
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 20:01Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
funny you mention the white cotton look.. i noticed that the female had a bit of a white stringy substance (not alot) ..that's when i noticed it was white...and waited around the aquarium to see if the male had it...which he does......not the stringy just the scar type...

bc she does have the cottony thing..should i go out and get the melafix?? i don't want to lose her.. i've also noticed that her torn fins are looking different....so i don't know if they're getting better or worse.. so i'll keep an eye out on that..

and to keep things clear..she was mangled when i got her.....from being in that small confined space with approx. 13 other JD's...

thanx for the advice!!
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 22:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
oh about the water.. i usually do a 20% ish water change every week.. but because i knew my jd's were going to or had maybe already layed eggs.. i was scared to stress them out and/or potentially suck the eggs up.. so I haven't done it yet. now that i do know where the eggs are.. i'm going to wait until later tonight or so and I'll do it then...
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 22:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JYJason
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 90
Votes: 1
male usa
I think the mark around the lip is definately the lip locking... probably fighting over the eggs. The males want to immediately breed again and the females want to protect their eggs... so they tend to lock lips and pull until one backs down. I wouldn't woory too much about it unless is spreads to other sections of the body
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2006 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies