Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeJack Dempsey troubles
JYJason
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 90
Votes: 1
male usa
I have a 55 gallon with a six inch JD who is incredibly moody. He seems to be bored as he never swims around the tank. His only other tank mate is an eclipse catfish who never leaves his side. I was wondering if there are any appropriate tank mates for him, preferably something other than a female JD to go with him. Also, he doesn't eat much, only what floats in front of him. Every once and a while he will chase a massivore delight but I can't get him to chase anything else, not even frozen or live worms.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2008 23:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
In my experience Jack's like to sit around, especially if they know you're in the room. I'd say there really isn't that much you could put with him except a pleco. And even then, if the pleco is too small when you put him in with the JD, it might attack him.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 03:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
male usa
I would try some dither fish that would stay twards the top of the tank. That would probably make him more active and more comfortable being by him self.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2008 08:22Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
JYJason
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I'm thinking a large aggresive electric blue ahli... its about 5 inches. Does that seem like a horrible idea or something doable
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2008 20:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
Not a good idea. As those fish are from two completely different areas of the world. They will not reconise each others languages and signs. So you will definitely have trouble. Probably the JD will kill the blue.

My suggestion is to go with what already has been suggested for you, some dither fish. Get 4-6 of some kind of rainbowfish. They are much too quick for the JD to catch. And he will learn to just leave them alone very quickly.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2008 06:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Again i can do nothing but agree with Marc here.
If rainbows dont take yer fancy try larger tiger barbs.
And thank god people arent always throwing big CA/SA Cichlids together and just hoping for the best.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2008 08:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JYJason
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Yeah I scratched the African idea, but I have to say I've heard many success stories with the odd combo.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2008 05:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
JYJason
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Hi all... just following up. I ended up getting five giant danios and did a 50% water change and he's much much much more active. Also, the danios were a suprisingly colorful addition to the tank!
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2008 04:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies