SubscribeJack Dempsey twitching??!!
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
hi all...
well I was laying in bed this morning looking at my JD's.. and I realized that the male, when around the female, twitches awkwardly then looks like he's sniffing her But as soon as she swims away he's fine. There are approximately 20 fry in the tank.. about a month old or so.. there were over 200 but it being their first batch of fry.. i think they ate some ..

anyway, i was wondering if his twitching is maybe a way to attract her to mate ?? I've never seen him like this..and he still eats and everything..it's only when the female is around. And like i said...he kinda twitches then rubs up on her and "sniffs" her lol

Thanx in advance,
bratty_girl29
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 02:25Profile PM Edit Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Hi,

The twitching is a mating dance. The male is wanting to lay more eggs.
You may want to think about removing the fry already there if this happens as they may:
1. Eat the newer fry and/or
2. Be seen as a threat by the parents and be eaten.

Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
really?? would they eat the older and/or younger fry? It's really interesting to find out these things... but I thought that Cichlids protected their young.. oh well I'll see how they react around them..
thanx!!
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 02:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies