SubscribeNew Bolivian Rams
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
About 3 days ago, i saw a pair of bolivian rams and couldnt resist buying them. Since i have intoduced them to their new home, though, they havent paired up again, and the female has been somewhat aggressive towards the male. It seems that the male tries to get close to the female, but the female chases the him away. So my question is, how long does it usually take for bolivian rams to pair up? I know that there is a chance that they wont pair up again, but im just curious as this is the first time i have ever kept a pair of cichlids.
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2006 22:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
I would give it about 2 weeks or so, as they were already paired up.
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2006 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
WiseIves
----------
Enthusiast
MbunaMbunaMbuna
Kudos: 180
Votes: 85
male usa
I have two sets of pairs, one pair is inseperable and help each other out alawyas acting as a team. The other pair who are the more aggressive only come together during times of spawning and parenting. Not sure if this means anything for you but at least in my tank its not neccessarily a happy couple. Its been like this for well over a year. Hope your two work out.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates-
I happen to have become a philosopher
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2006 23:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
Thanks for the quick replies. wow, I did not know that it could take up to 2 weeks for rams to pair up. I always thought it only takes a couple of days. Well now i have a new question- how reliable is it to sex rams by looking at the dorsal fin crest? I am asking this because what i think is the male is more colorful than what i think is the female, and has the caudal fin extensions, yet what i think is the female has a larger crest. The crest on the "female" covers four of the dorsal fin rays, and the "male's" only covers three.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 05:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Well its harder to sex the Bolivian Rams compared to the German Blue Rams. Anyway, the males will have dorsal fin extensions.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 16:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FallingForNova
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
female canada
I don't know if this will help you, but I've been told that:

This is my male Bolivian Ram:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j21/FallingForNova/Fish/IMG_3257.jpg

And this is one (or both... I can never tell them apart) of my females:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j21/FallingForNova/Fish/IMG_3186.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j21/FallingForNova/Fish/IMG_3109.jpg

10 Gallon: Gold Danios 5 Gallon:Flik the Betta
33 Gallon: Platies, Guppies, Bolivian Rams, Honey Gourami's, and Spot the Spotted Climbing Perch
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2006 18:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies