L# New friends: Julidochromis regani Zambia
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew friends: Julidochromis regani Zambia
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Hey I was just given a pair of these (apparently a spawning pair along with their cave). I traded the other party a new heater and got these guys.

Just looking to see if anyone has some good info on them, I have them in a 10g by themselves and they should spawn once settled in a bit more (guy said within three months I should have more than I know what to do with...)

Thanks,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2009 01:40Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Nice fish, easy species. Sand, caves, keep like most other tanganyikan, easy breeders, LFS will usually take offspring. If you upgrade from a 10g, id think about getting some more.
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2009 21:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
1 pair only unless in a very large tank. these guys dont mess around when it comes to territories. offspring will be allowed to hang out a while but eventually kicked out.

really should have at least a 20g.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2009 03:07Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Actually, julidochromis are considered to be very timid fish for african cichlids, and most breeders keep one male for two females. If you have a quick look online there are a fair few sites that confirm this.
James
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2009 23:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Ill make sure i relay the message to the ones i have in a 30g breeder that they need to stop killing each other when forming a pair. according to some online web pages they are timid for africans.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2009 04:31Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Thats because its true.
Lets face it, you have about 6 in that tank, we have over 300 of differnet species at work that we've had for months. Some wild caught, some captive bred. Not zambians though. You probably just got unlucky.
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2009 20:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
i have transcriptus
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2009 23:04Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Um. I guess thats that, then...
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2009 23:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
you say at work so im assuming a fish shop / pet store which means juvies. takes a long while for these to become sexually mature and start killing off each other.

in any case i dont have the energy to argue about something so stupid. a timid african is still a african and not a tetra. can word it however you like to make them sound friendly but at teh end up the day you stick multiple pairs in a single tank shorter then 4ft long then someone is gona die. you want to continue to argue that point be my guest but you will be arguing with yourself.
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 04:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hmmm I enjoyed that bit of information (and sorry for the late replies its been tough around here economically as well as emotionally). The pair is doing great!

I saw the first fry yesterday (pretty sure, but it could be a danio or tetra egg that randomly hatched however I havent seen them breeding/spawning). if it was a hitchhiker egg it would be best identified at a later date, but I'm hoping its the first baby!

I put a black ghost knife thats fairly small in with the pair and they herd it to the far corners of the small tank, so I'm going to take him out so he doesn't get damaged or killed.

I know that they are territorial, and can be fiesty, but the guy i got them from said that he had been breeding the pair for about 6months or so and they do fine with the fry and the juvies, and sometimes the adults of the offspring, but might pick on the babies once mature. He said that he bred them in a 10g and thats all they needed. He also told me that the fry should sell well at the LFS because they aren't as common as neon tetras and those few true hobbyists would be interested.

The tank has no power filtration, its a UGF with two air powered sponge filters, its a mellow and beautiful tank (for an extremely simple set up!)

Thanks for the input,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 01:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
FYI, most of them are adults imported from indonesia, yet are tank bred.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2009 17:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies