Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNo Angelfish Pairs
pugperson
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 953
Votes: 293
female usa
Last spring I bought nickle sized angelfish from a local lfs hoping to get at least one pair. I bouth six of them, picked them out myself, had the employee fish them out. Put them in my 75g tank and now have beautiful, peaceful angels that I think are all males, or at least the same sex. Now fighting or sparring from the fish, but no eggs either. Now I am attached to them, but really want to try raising angels. What would you do? Trade them in and try with a new batch, or what?
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 02:58Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Take all of them to your LFS but before you do findout if they can sex them for you.

Other wise trade them all in and buy a breeding pair.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 04:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i personally hate when people buy fish, and return them.

i understand that you want a pair, but if you really want a pair, go online and buy a 70 + usd proven pair, and a new 55 gallon.

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 08:07Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
You are really unlucky not to get a pair from 6 Angels.

The ready paired Angels that you find for sale cost alot & sometimes are at the end of their breeding process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 15:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
pugperson
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
Bettachris, I said I was really attached to them. Sometimes returning fish to a lfs is the only viable solution. Besides, what is the difference between selling, or taking to a lfs, the young fish from your successful breeding? Most people if they are lucky enough to be successful breeders, have more fry than they can handle when they are mature.
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 17:19Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i have never taken a fish back to any store even if they die, as i find that "personally"""""" if you buy it, it is the persons responciblitiy and i "personally"""" find it wrong that a person buys lets say 1-100 fish for one reason, and than return them,

i know if i was a lfs owner, and a person who wants a pair of angels buys 20 of them, to get one pair and returns the rest, when their are proven pairs online, and if they wanted to breed them so badly their are pairs out there.
again not implying that this is you, but these are what i see so often around here.

again if a pair is so desired i tell people to go and buy a proven pair and keep the other angels they bought. b/c if breeding is the desired goal than tanks shouldn't be a problem, as with breeding xtra supplies should be their, so their should be no problem having breeding pairs, grow out tanks, and tanks for the other fish.

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 21:25Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Why not add 5 similar size angels from a local breeder or your local fish club? See if you might generate a mated pair or two from that mix?

Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2006 23:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pugperson
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
Bob, I have thought of that, since I really like the angels that I have. One marble is a particular favorite, but I really like my veil tail goldens also, so I thought I would try to get them sexed, and matched up with compatable mates.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2006 01:38Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jsparkman
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 101
Votes: 0
male usa
Pug, how large are the fish now? If they were nickel size when you got them about a year ago they may just now be maturing. I've got two pair that didn't pair off until they were about 2" or larger. Maybe a little more patience is all you need.

James
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 03:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1of2
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 3
pugperson, I have a great proven pair that I need to get rid of. where are you located? i won't ship them but if you live close maybe we can work something out.
Post InfoPosted 14-Apr-2006 02:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pugperson
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
Thanks for your kind offer 1of2. I live south of Houston, TX. However, I just found out that I do have a breeding pair. Just looked into my tank and I have wigglers! My veil tail golden angel paired up with my black marble. This is their first time, and they seem to be taking good care of their fry, except it is in a community tank. Not sure how to handle things except I hope not to loose all the wigglers.
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2006 02:04Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
kmlubahn6609
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 127
Votes: 2
female usa
all that hassle for nothing...hahaha...well, i'm glad things worked out for you. There's nothing more rewarding than i fish having babies. I had a feeling that your fish may have just been on the way to sexual maturity, and time will tell about the others. How did the parents treat the others? Congrats on the new arrivals!!

I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 05:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies