Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNo question, just happiness
RockmaninovRachs
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 39
female usa
I don't know if we're technically supposed to post things like this, but I just want to let everyone know how completely happy I am with my Jack Dempsey cichlids! They're growing so quickly and coloring up beautifully. They have the greatest personalities and can definitely recognize me (how awesome is that?????) They do bicker a bit, as one is larger than the other, but they have hiding spots and are just the sweetest little friends ever. I definitely recommend JDs to anyone, and I'm so happy.
My tank's cycled, the fish are eating and growing, and it's all going tremendously well. Thanks for all the help you guys have given me! Today I'm reminded of why keeping fish is so rewarding
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2006 01:47Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
Congratulations.
Those larger cichlids seem so smart, and even better, they can live for a number of years.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2006 02:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
X24
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 20
Votes: 0
i love JDs! I've waited so long and now i think i am finally going to have a 55 gallon tank devoted to one of them. (maybe even an EBJD!)

they really color up if you feed them earth worms avery now and then.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2006 03:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Oh yes, adult Dempseys are stunning fishes. And, if you happen to have a male/female pair, and they start spawning, then you are ind for a treat. Because out of all the CA/SA Cichlids, Dempseys are among the best parents. They are truly amazing to watch in action when caring for their young, and their diligence in keeping their fry safe, clean, fed etc., is touching to behold - they would shame quite a few human parents with the effort they put into infant care.

However, if you DO end up with Mom and Pop Dempsey, watch your fingers during tank maintenance, because the parents are utterly FEARLESS in defence of their young against any perceived threat. They will not hesitate to launch into attack mode if you're clumsy while doing a gravel vac!

Courtship with these fishes looks more like a tag team wrestling match than our idea of romance, but we are talking here about big, powerful, muscular and predatory fishes ... the jaw locking and tug of war that counts for kissing among Dempseys is fairly frightening to behold when you see it for the first time, but you'll get used to it.

If they look as if they're in the mood for breeding sometime, you need a big flat rock for them to spawn on. Piece of slate is perfect. It'll need to be big enough to hold around 2,000 eggs, because a mature pair of Dempsesys can produce that with ease.

Watch them spend about 8 to 12 hours cleaning that rock before they spawn on it. Then watch them place each egg with surgical precision, forming lots of neat rows. Then watch them hover over the eggs and fan them. Then watch them transfer the wriggling babies to a pit in the gravel once they've hatched, shuttling back and forth in coordinated manner conducted with military precision. Then watch them give the babies their 'baby bath' - they'll take them in their mouths, roll them about a bit, then spit them out again, with a tenderness that will come as a BIG surprise when you consider how big, powerful and tank like the adults are.

Oh, by the way, unless something bad happens and they mistakenly blame each other for it, Dempseys pair for life. And put more effort into the 'marriage' than a lot of people. Watch and learn, they'll teach you a few things.

As for longevity, expect 10 years as a typical figure, with some specimens living to 15 or beyond.

Remember the trick from the old Innes book I posted in your feeding thread - some dragonfly larvae will give the Dempseys the double satisfaction of destroying fry threats and savouring a nice nutritious crunchy treat when they're in parental mode. Some small water beetles will also serve the same purpose. Just watch them in action when they spot these critters ... you can almost see the red mist descending before their eyes as they think "It's approaching our babies ... IT DIES!!!!"

You could be in for a LOT of fun with these guys in the next 15 years.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2006 05:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
RockmaninovRachs
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 39
Votes: 39
female usa
Ahhh! This was sooooo cool...
I skipped their feeding for one day and the next day I went to feed them (they totally perk up when they see I've got the food bag out) and the larger one actually jumped up and nipped me in the fingers when I put the first food pellet in.
It was the sweetest thing that's ever happened.
Ever.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2006 00:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
weeble
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
uk
With regard to the EBJD, if you do manage to find them, make sure you over-filter the water, as they seem to have comparatively weaker immune systems at the moment, compared to standard JD's, which lead to internal parasites taking hold.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2006 13:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies