L# Pick My 30 Gallon Cichlid Tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePick My 30 Gallon Cichlid Tank
djtj1
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
Hey all,

I am currently redoing my 30 gallon community planted tank. After having it up running for about 4 years, all I have left are 2 platys and an x ray tetra, all of which are very old. I also have a bunch of amazon swords, some java ferns, and far too many MTS's.
I want to redo the tank as a cichlid tank. I was thinking 2-5 individual fish. I am currently in college and am away from home for months on end. My younger brother is able to do minor things like water changes but I want to avoid fish that are delicate or high-maintenance. As such, I would like to avoid fish like rams and apistos. I also would like to keep my aquascape, so I want to avoid African cichlids. I'm thinking fish in the convict/jewel category that are cheap, ( I don't really want to pay more than $7 a fish) hardy, and active. Basically, I am trying to keep the aquarium as low maintenance as possible while also having a little character. The platys and tetra can either stay or be relocated.

Bonus points if they will eat MTS'.

Tell me what you guys think!

Thanks,

Tom
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2013 23:34Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited 08-Jan-2013 23:35
How about a pair of firemouths?

I don't think there are any cichlids that eat MTS. The only fish I can think of that *might* would be puffers.

><>
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2013 23:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 09-Jan-2013 02:13
Most fish won't eat MTS, their shell is just too tough. That said, they're also rather beneficial for a tank. They don't eat plants, and can help keep the substrate from getting too compact (which kills plant roots), they can also help prevent deadly buildup of anerobic bacteria in the substrate.

If you really have too many some shops take them, just leave a piece of lettuce leaf weighed down overnight. Remove it before the tank lights come on in the morning and it should have a good number of the snails on it. They'll eat decaying plant matter but I've never had them eat my live plants (I actually quite like them if you hadn't guessed).

I've only ever had keyhole and kribs, I think either would be good for a 30. Kribs should be cheap as anything since they breed so well (anyway they did for me!) Mine have been through a few tough situations (power outages and the like). I have the keyholes and my last pair of kribs in different tanks but both have quite a bit of java fern. They keyholes really like it and hide out in it reminding me of how a clownfish acts with anemone, the kribs aren't really bothered by the plants, they do like hiding spots especially if their in breeding mode though, so a bit of log or cave makes them a bit happier.

I mentioned that mine are in separate tanks, they should technically get along well together, might keep populations in check should they start breeding. However since you're away I'd suggest keeping the stock on the low end, just to be on the safe side.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2013 02:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan

Four lined-pims will eat 'baby' MTS but not larger ones. 4 lined gets pretty big so you couldn't get more than one in a 30 gal. and you would have to be careful with whatever else you put in the tank as they are greedy, fast and with BIG mouths.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Apr-2013 03:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies