AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Rift Lake Salt, is it a really needed?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRift Lake Salt, is it a really needed?
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
Votes: 14
male usa
EditedEdited by clippers1996
Hi all,
I have 2 yellow labs and what appear to be 2 rusty mbunas in a 37 gallon tank, I know a bit on the small side! But I saw some rift lake salt from Seachem in LFS, being a seachem lover. I thought is this necessary for the well being of my fish?. The salt had 2 dosing levels, one for Malawi, which I believe is where these fish originated.
Thoughts? Benefits? Problems?
Regards,
Clip
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 22:59Profile PM Edit Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
Hey Clip,

Rift Lake Salt (or almost any buffer formula by various manufacturers) can be made DIY. The important thing to note is that the main purpose of this salt is to help adjust the pH of your water (in this case, buffers it to a higher pH). Usually I wouldn't use or reccomend using a chemical buffer as there are far better and natural ways to buffer your water (adding crushed coral, aragonite, limestone, other calcerous rocks, etc).

If your pH is in fact too low for your cichlids, using plain baking soda would work on it's own (though you'd have to tinker for the ratio and adjust the pH slowly and continue doing so almost weekly).

If you were thinking about using an additive for your fish to improve their health and coloration, try Zoe by Kent Marine as a food soak (either the fresh or salt water variation is fine for mbunas, just make sure it's the green clearish liquid).

Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 03:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I always found my African cichlids had more colour when I used Rift Lake Salts. I used one made by Kent but unfortunately it is no longer available here in Aus.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2007 01:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
WiseIves
----------
Enthusiast
MbunaMbunaMbuna
Kudos: 180
Votes: 85
male usa
I think using a buffer is overated. I've done it both ways and have found no difference in appearance or behavior as I have several Mbuna tanks. When you first add a buffer fish will become very active but once stability of the PH is maintained there is no difference, IMO. The more important thing is keeping stable,clean waer.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates-
I happen to have become a philosopher
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2007 14:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
There is no need for it. The main thing you want is stability in your water. As long as your water is not very soft you should be fine. If you need or would like to use something to keep the PH up I suggest using some crushed coral in your filter or filling the tank with some Texas holey rock.

chris
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2007 11:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by clippers1996
Well thanks! Come to think of it I haven't tested my hardness and it just so happens I have a kit in my box o' goodies. Chris1017, that's a good idea, crushed coral in the filter. Never thought of it, but then again never really had Cichlids before. Nice to see a fellow Marylander too!
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 02:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
male usa us-maryland
I have used the crushed coral as a substrate and did not like it but in the filter it will help to buffer the water. I am just not one for adding chemicals if I don't have to.

Where at in MD are you, I am in the Balimore/Dundalk area

chris
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2007 20:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
male usa
EditedEdited by Clippers1996
Unfortunately I'm now a transplant to the Miami, Fl area, I use to work out on Sparrow's Point, grew up on the Eastern Shore though. So Baltimore/Dundalk area,I'm sure I can safely say GO RAVENS!

Chemicals have never really worked for me either, I try to stay with fish compatable with the local water parameters to avoid any "funny business" with chemicals and their sales hype.
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 02:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
male usa us-maryland
EditedEdited by chris1017
Sorry to hear, a lot of people are still hurting here. Good luck and yes, GO RAVENS!!!

By the way, here is a shot at my fist cichlid tank about 5 years ago. Notice my labs,and the plants are java fern and anubius.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2007 04:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies