Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSuitable Tankmates for a Melanochromis Auratus
LuckyElliott
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male usa
I recently gave away my assortment of African Cichlids but could not part ways with my male Auratus. (I've had him for 4 years, he's my little buddy). Would it be alright to introduce American Cichlids into his 55 gallon home? Preferably, a Managuense and a breeding pair of Convicts. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 04:42Profile PM Edit Report 
desiredusername
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 99
Votes: 36
male australia
A jag needs a much bigger tank than a 55g by itself, they can grow to 18 inches and a 55 is only 13 inches wide. A breeding pair of convicts would try kill any other fish of similar size in "their" tank, so having the with the Auratus probably isnt a good idea

For an american cichlid 55 what about an oscar, or a pair of jack dempseys(this is what i am about to do)
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 11:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Nope.
pH values are too different.
As you probably (hopefully..) are aware auratus are african rift lake cichlids requiring a high pH like lake Malawi.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2008 01:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
toxic69
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
if you didnt want more cichlids why not try a school of fish that will use the upper part of the tank leaving the bottom for the auratus.I would not add a breeding pair of convicts to any tank unless you like seeing all the other fish pinned in the top corner of the tank by the male convict.
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2008 15:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies